Edit video description without getting de-ranked?

ThisisJericho

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would say edit if you have to. If you have to add in your link because you forgot it, just add it. I have heard more people gaining views and increasing traffic by fixing their edit than people relying on chance of losing viewers. If your making improvements, I see it more as an upside

Boris Qs

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Wondering if it's possible to edit the description of a video without YouTube un-ranking or re-ranking it? I've seen people say that editing the keywords can cause a video to get re-ranked and it might lose it's current ranking status.
Yes you can edit a video description without losing any rankings, here is why I think so...Youtube loves when content on their platform is constantly being updated. All search engines love that because it keeps they content fresh and new.

I am one of those who have been updating my keywords and re-ranking my videos if I see they are not doing well. Most often I get a better ranking for the videos I update.

Why would one want to update their videos if it is already ranking...of-cause that is changing the metrics in a negative way...you are just telling YouTube I don't want this video to rank any more and hence losing the rankings...Did I miss anything here?

Does this apply to editing the video's text description as well? I'd like to add some additional affiliate links for some of the products I'm using in the videos, but I don't want to lose my rankings, obviously.
It might, I say that because if the update in the description is targeted to another keywords. Youtube uses the text in the description box to determine what your video is about that's why when optimizing your videos descriptions also counts.

However, if its just changing or adding an affiliate link, it will not affect your rankings. I just recently changed the links to my social site on some of my videos and up until now I haven't seen any changes in rankings.

Hope that helps

Reactions: Pierce's Mom