Edit video description without getting de-ranked?

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Wondering if it's possible to edit the description of a video without YouTube un-ranking or re-ranking it? I've seen people say that editing the keywords can cause a video to get re-ranked and it might lose it's current ranking status. Does this apply to editing the video's text description as well? I'd like to add some additional affiliate links for some of the products I'm using in the videos, but I don't want to lose my rankings, obviously.

Thoughts or ideas?

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I dont think there can be a correct answer.
I have read that some creators whilst improving Tags/descriptions etc have gone on to lose views.
Whilst others have improved an old video.
I recently added Amazon Associate Links to the majority of my videos whilst removing some of the old tag and its so far not affected my views.

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I dont think there can be a correct answer.
I have read that some creators whilst improving Tags/descriptions etc have gone on to lose views.
Whilst others have improved an old video.
I recently added Amazon Associate Links to the majority of my videos whilst removing some of the old tag and its so far not affected my views.
Good to know. I think I may risk it on a few to test. I have Amazon Associate links on most of my videos, but everyone asks about the little portable cooktop I use, so I'd like to include a link for that on each video. I'm determined to do it because the Amazon Affiliate links have been performing VERY well for me. I had no idea the success they would be. Wowsa! (Affiliate Marketing FTW!) So, it might be worth it in the long run, even if it does temporarily affect my rankings.

ToysForKids

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
If the video is doing good, don't risk it. If it's not then you've got nothing to lose.

I know for a fact that if you add the affiliate link at the beginning of the description it will get de-ranked. That's how I blew one of our videos (it wasn't affiliate but still).

You might get away with it by adding the link after like third paragraph on the description as those are not that important.

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
maybe instead of editing the description you could write the link in a comment and pin it on top?
That might actually be the best idea. I'm scared to risk the little ranking momentum I already have.

Grass Daddy

Reaction score
I'd do that too, more people see the pinned comment than the 3rd paragraph of a description. You know how many times I have to tell people "I posted the link in the description"?? lol. but NONE on the video I put it in a pinned comment..

Pixel & Bracket

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
I'm currently running an experiment on my channel where I am re-tagging, redoing description, re-thumbnailing, and even re-titling most of my old videos, and almost all of my top videos.

I'll be updating the thread I started in about a month with results that I've gathered. Initial findings are a bit inconclusive, but nothing drastically negative.

Pierce's Mom

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I'm currently running an experiment on my channel where I am re-tagging, redoing description, re-thumbnailing, and even re-titling most of my old videos, and almost all of my top videos.

I'll be updating the thread I started in about a month with results that I've gathered. Initial findings are a bit inconclusive, but nothing drastically negative.
I've always wondered if this was worth the time and effort. Very curious how this is working for you. Will be looking for your findings in about a month. Thanks for sharing![DOUBLEPOST=1496478539,1496478371][/DOUBLEPOST]Very good to know! What affiliate link were you posting? Amazon? Personal website? Do you think that's because Youtube doesn't like the fact the you are technically driving people off YT to check out the other link?[DOUBLEPOST=1496478629][/DOUBLEPOST]
If the video is doing good, don't risk it. If it's not then you've got nothing to lose.

I know for a fact that if you add the affiliate link at the beginning of the description it will get de-ranked. That's how I blew one of our videos (it wasn't affiliate but still).

You might get away with it by adding the link after like third paragraph on the description as those are not that important.
Very good to know! What affiliate link were you posting? Amazon? Personal website? Do you think that's because Youtube doesn't like the fact the you are technically driving people off YT to check out the other link?

Pixel & Bracket

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
I've always wondered if this was worth the time and effort. Very curious how this is working for you. Will be looking for your findings in about a month. Thanks for sharing!
Awesome, glad to know someone's interested, i've changed about 10 videos so far, mostly my top videos and we'll give them some time to get reworked into the system to make any judgments. so far nothing drastic either way

Reactions: Pierce's Mom