Eating Talk Show => Mukbang? Branding Strategy Advice

curiousflavor

I'm starting to wonder if I should change my title / marketing strategies.

A large component of my channel, Curious Flavor, is an eating talk show called "Let's Eat Together." It's similar to mukbang videos but instead of focusing on the food, I wanted the focus to be on the genuine conversation.

However, I'm realizing it's hard to rank / get people to watch the entire duration of my videos with titles such as, "How to Tell If You're an Introvert or an Extrovert." Largely because 1) people may be coming to learn about the topic and may not be interested in the eating component and 2) it's a very generic title.

Now I'm considering branding my channel as a mukbang channel where titles would be, "Eating 2 large pizzzas" or something but I don't want to be consuming that much food...lol.

Would anyone give me constructive feedback on what my strategy should be? It would be extremely helpful, especially from a third party perspective.

Last edited:
Hi curiousflavor,
Thanks for commenting on my video on youtube.
Here are my tips to for growing my channel that's only 3 weeks old. They are all very subjective opinions of mine, it might not work for everyone though.

1. Pick the right topic. 50% of my traffic comes from youtube search, so it seems to me that ASMR is totally on the hype even for a niche market, I google it on google trends, the trend is only 9 months old so I felt there are still opportunity for asmr to be brought to a larger audience, not to mention asmr is actually useful some people who has anxiety and sleep issues, its more than pure entertainment. Pick a topic that people actually care about.

2. Consistency is the key. At least in the beginning stage of your channel's growth. I upload 5 days a week Monday to Friday, that has definitely helped.

3. Market your content. I got this tip from Pewdiepie, he said that everyone should market their channel to some degree, he used to private message people to say that: "hey I see that you watch this X video, maybe you'll like my content too." ASMR is a niche topic, so I google for ASMR online communities where I can submit my content. I submit my content to subreddit asmr and asmr facebook groups. When your audience is not being exposed to your content, you shall find them. Find certain groups of people what are interested in your topic, so when you present your content to them, they are genuinely engaged and can increase your watch time.

4. increase content quality / watch time. I'm still struggling with watch time too, but I think it's one of those things where the more you practice making vids, the more insight you get to increase your content quality, thus higher watch time and the longer you can keep them engaged. But one thing I saw somewhere that stood out to me was, Jack Paul said you should cut every 7 seconds to keep your audience interested. I also read that having an interesting intro might also increase watch time, since you are prepping them with something to anticipate. You commented that I have good audio, that's because I bought a $170 microphone, maybe you need it? Idk.

5. Use tools to help you analyze. Use social blade, tubebuddy, vid iq to help rank your video on certain keywords or gain insights. Use tubebuddy and determine a good keyword for your video, so when people search it, your content comes up, and try to rank your video number 1 on that search result page. Again, I'm still trying to learn all this too.

Remember, creating good content is only one part out of so many parts to this process. I used to think quality content is the only thing that matters, but reality proved me wrong. And not to mention how many vids we need to make as practice in order to make ONE GREAT vid!

That's all I have at the moment, I hope it can help you! Let me know if you have tips and trick on how you grow your channel too!

Last edited:
Hi curiousflavor,
Thanks for commenting on my video on youtube.
Here are my tips to for growing my channel that's only 3 weeks old. They are all very subjective opinions of mine, it might not work for everyone though.

1. Pick the right topic. 50% of my traffic comes from youtube search, so it seems to me that ASMR is totally on the hype even for a niche market, I google it on google trends, the trend is only 9 months old so I felt there are still opportunity for asmr to be brought to a larger audience, not to mention asmr is actually useful some people who has anxiety and sleep issues, its more than pure entertainment. Pick a topic that people actually care about.

2. Consistency is the key. At least in the beginning stage of your channel's growth. I upload 5 days a week Monday to Friday, that has definitely helped.

3. Market your content. I got this tip from Pewdiepie, he said that everyone should market their channel to some degree, he used to private message people to say that: "hey I see that you watch this X video, maybe you'll like my content too." ASMR is a niche topic, so I google for ASMR online communities where I can submit my content. I submit my content to subreddit asmr and asmr facebook groups. When your audience is not being exposed to your content, you shall find them. Find certain groups of people what are interested in your topic, so when you present your content to them, they are genuinely engaged and can increase your watch time.

4. increase content quality / watch time. I'm still struggling with watch time too, but I think it's one of those things where the more you practice making vids, the more insight you get to increase your content quality, thus higher watch time and the longer you can keep them engaged. But one thing I saw somewhere that stood out to me was, Jack Paul said you should cut every 7 seconds to keep your audience interested. I also read that having an interesting intro might also increase watch time, since you are prepping them with something to anticipate. You commented that I have good audio, that's because I bought a $170 microphone, maybe you need it? Idk.

5. Use tools to help you analyze. Use social blade, tubebuddy, vid iq to help rank your video on certain keywords or gain insights. Use tubebuddy and determine a good keyword for your video, so when people search it, your content comes up, and try to rank your video number 1 on that search result page. Again, I'm still trying to learn all this too.

Remember, creating good content is only one part out of so many parts to this process. I used to think quality content is the only thing that matters, but reality proved me wrong. And not to mention how many vids we need to make as practice in order to make ONE GREAT vid!

That's all I have at the moment, I hope it can help you! Let me know if you have tips and trick on how you grow your channel too!

Thanks so much for putting this all together - I genuinely appreciate it.

Do you mind being critical about my channel for a moment and honestly tell me if my branding strategy is confusing? I don't think it works and I would appreciate a third party perspective (outside of my friends and family). At the end of it all, my channel is supposed to be an eating talk show - not a mukbang and not entirely a talk show.

Despite it being an eating talk show, I don't hint there is eating involved in the title, rather I write it in the thumbnail with the logo "Let's Eat Together." I make the titles about the topic discussed in the video (e.g. Gross things people do in relationships, why asian BBQ is better etc.). I am worried when people click on the titles to learn something (e.g. How to tell if you're an introvert or an extrovert) and then see eating, they immediately get turned off because they wanted to listen to the information ASAP and not sit through people eating. I am hesitant to change my titles to "eating 2 large pizzas" becuase 1) Mukbang is very saturated already and 2) I can't eat a lot of food like they do in mukbangs.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this, thank you.

Hello,
I briefly saw your channel, some of your video ideas are more intriguing than others. Eating food in silence is not interesting to average viewer, but its totally an unintentional asmr video hahaha. Spicy sriracha popcorn review would be interesting for me to watch. I can't and don't want criticize your other content is because I'm personally not a foodie, I'm assuming people who are interested in your content would be food lovers, and I'm not one so I can't say.

But, I do think that videos that does really well on youtube elicit some kind of emotional response to their audience, or videos that contains high shock value will intrigue people to click. If you want to stay within the food category, research on existing food vids on youtube and find a way to differentiate yourself from them. Or simply find a need that has not been filled by creators on youtube, and if you can be the first few to fill that need you will grow fast.

Any market is the same, supply and demand, if you can fill a demand, people will come.
There's also the part where, are you doing youtube for a hobby or for a business? Some people do Youtube as a hobby, then that thinking might lead them to do whatever they want and not what the audience would like to see. If your focus is to grow your channel more than just for self-pleasure, then give people what they want.

I'm saying all this to you, but I'm still trying to figure this all out.

Also, there way different ways to tackle a saturated market or a niche. It's all up to you to problem solve. A saturated market has it's perks too, it means there's a huge demand. A sleek niche is also good, but you need to really cater to that audience and knows that audience well.

Back