Easy Views & Subscribers With Compilation Videos

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Warning: This thread has way too much information, but I wanted to be thorough. I hope this convinces you to make a compilation video in order to gain more traffic from the search pages of YouTube and eventually more subscribers.

Many YouTubers make the mistake of only wanting their own content on their channel. They may feel that the competition is strong enough already, and so they don't want to send any of their fans to other pages. Perhaps they're worried about copyright infringement. Whatever the reasoning is, compilation videos are actually a GREAT way to gain views and subscribers.

WHAT MAKES A GOOD COMPILATION VIDEO
  1. Don't use copyrighted material.
  2. Make sure it fits the genre of your channel.
  3. Don't do too much voice overs or pauses in between videos.
  4. Never start with the best video being labeled #1, because if a viewer doesn't like that one, they won't keep watching. Start with #5 or #10 as the label so that people feel each segment onwards will be better than the last and keep watching.
  5. Make sure you put the best 2-3 videos first. Don't worry about legitimately ranking the segments. If you think one clip is going to be liked the most, put it as the first part of your video and label it #5 or #10 (depending on how many you include). This will make people think each video after is even better than the first one they watch, which is a video you think they'll love. Make the next 2-3 videos the next best thing to keep them watching, and have your least favorite ones at the end. #Logic
  6. Never use a full clip if it's long. People may get bored and leave. Include the best 30 seconds of each video. Perhaps do a bunch of editing and take the best parts.
A video compilation is a way to gain tons of views because it sorts the best content in a genre for the viewers so they don't have to view ten different 5+ minute videos.

Examples of my compilations:
  • 10 Best World of Warcraft Rages & Nerd Rages
  • Top 5 World of Warcraft Songs
  • Red Shirt Guy's Best Questions (2010-2014 Blizzcon) + Red Shirt Guy Song Remix
  • Best WoW Halloween Machinimas! Happy Halloween!
The rages video only used content freely available and brings in a couple hundred views per day, 99% of them being from people searching for "wow rages", "gamer rage" and "nerd rages". Boom! My WoW Songs one hasn't done as well, but will probably end up with a couple thousand views by 2015. Red Shirt Guy is a constant topic every year at Blizzcon (WoW convention) because he is famous for his questions on the Q&A panel and I expect thousands of views on that video (uploaded it yesterday). Halloween video will end up getting a few hundred, or a few thousand (eventually) every Halloween.

DESCRIPTION / TAGS / TITLE
Make the title clear and use keywords. Your audience is everyone searching for the media in your compilation video. If you have a Lebron James compilation video, your title could be "Best Lebron James Shots EVER (2012-2014)" or something similar. Your description should include the games he has played in that are included in the video. If he's famous for let's say "Lebron James New York halfcourt shot" or something, make sure that's in your description & tags and also in your video.
You get the point.

You want to make sure you capture as many people as possible by ranking in tons of possible searches. Don't go overboard with specifics and keep it general. Instead of "Lebron James Best Free Throws" say "Lebron James Best Shots" so perhaps people looking for 3-pointers will see it, instead of just people looking for free throws.

Make sure you give out links to all the content in the description and put some text (in the video) referring to each clip in the video so people know what they're watching.

INTRO
In the intro, start off with the first clip you're including - Don't start saying "Hey I'm Joe and today I'm showing you...". I made this mistake and have found it better to jump into the juicy stuff to get people interested FAST. After the first clip, that's when you say "Alright, you just watched ____. My name's Joe and today I'm showing you the Top 10 _____. Time for me to shut up, enjoy and see you later!" Cue second, third, etc clips.

OUTRO
You can have an outro saying something like "Make sure you subscribe for more compilation videos just like this one. Subscribing lets you see all my future compilation videos as soon as they're released. My name's Joe - Thanks for watching my Top 10 ____ and I'll see ya later".
This encourages people to subscribe for a specific reason - To see more videos like the one they just watched to the very end (a good indicator they enjoyed it).

Another good way to get your outro attention is to do something like
"Hey I'm Joe. Before I show you the last clip, I'd like to thank my loyal fans for helping me find the BEST ___ for this video. If you're not subscribed, subscribe to see more videos just like this one & maybe even help me create them!" Cue last clip. End video.

ONE LAST THING - Do not - Do NOT make a video compilation of illegally obtained material. That means you should NOT upload a video that you like if it has copyrighted music in it (if the video doesn't have people speaking, strip the audio and add your own legally obtained music from YouTube's audio library). That means you should NOT upload a video that includes videos from famous people, networks etc.

Sinc

Mr Not That Famous
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Yea i have noticed that they do in fact do pretty well, it's just none fit my genre or my style, so until i find one, WHICH I PLAN TO, i shall endorse my stupidity in compilation form....top 5's, top 10's s**t.

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yea i have noticed that they do in fact do pretty well, it's just none fit my genre or my style, so until i find one, WHICH I PLAN TO, i shall endorse my stupidity in compilation form....top 5's, top 10's s**t.
Top 5 Vloggers of ALL Time
Top 5 Black Comedians
5 Artists Who Weren't Famous Until They Died
Top 5 Funny Animations on YouTube

All of those things relate to various aspects of your channel, in their own way.
You post art related videos.
You're black & hilarious.
Again art.
You're a good funny animator for your rants.

It doesn't have to be a compilation video that 100% defines your channel. But if people come to your channel for art, they might like a Top 5 Artists that ____ video, or if they like your animations, etc etc.

Reactions: Sinc

Azren the Language Nerd

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Warning: This thread has way too much information, but I wanted to be thorough. I hope this convinces you to make a compilation video in order to gain more traffic from the search pages of YouTube and eventually more subscribers.

Many YouTubers make the mistake of only wanting their own content on their channel. They may feel that the competition is strong enough already, and so they don't want to send any of their fans to other pages. Perhaps they're worried about copyright infringement. Whatever the reasoning is, compilation videos are actually a GREAT way to gain views and subscribers.

WHAT MAKES A GOOD COMPILATION VIDEO
  1. Don't use copyrighted material.
  2. Make sure it fits the genre of your channel.
  3. Don't do too much voice overs or pauses in between videos.
  4. Never start with the best video being labeled #1, because if a viewer doesn't like that one, they won't keep watching. Start with #5 or #10 as the label so that people feel each segment onwards will be better than the last and keep watching.
  5. Make sure you put the best 2-3 videos first. Don't worry about legitimately ranking the segments. If you think one clip is going to be liked the most, put it as the first part of your video and label it #5 or #10 (depending on how many you include). This will make people think each video after is even better than the first one they watch, which is a video you think they'll love. Make the next 2-3 videos the next best thing to keep them watching, and have your least favorite ones at the end. #Logic
  6. Never use a full clip if it's long. People may get bored and leave. Include the best 30 seconds of each video. Perhaps do a bunch of editing and take the best parts.
A video compilation is a way to gain tons of views because it sorts the best content in a genre for the viewers so they don't have to view ten different 5+ minute videos.

Examples of my compilations:
  • 10 Best World of Warcraft Rages & Nerd Rages
  • Top 5 World of Warcraft Songs
  • Red Shirt Guy's Best Questions (2010-2014 Blizzcon) + Red Shirt Guy Song Remix
  • Best WoW Halloween Machinimas! Happy Halloween!
The rages video only used content freely available and brings in a couple hundred views per day, 99% of them being from people searching for "wow rages", "gamer rage" and "nerd rages". Boom! My WoW Songs one hasn't done as well, but will probably end up with a couple thousand views by 2015. Red Shirt Guy is a constant topic every year at Blizzcon (WoW convention) because he is famous for his questions on the Q&A panel and I expect thousands of views on that video (uploaded it yesterday). Halloween video will end up getting a few hundred, or a few thousand (eventually) every Halloween.

DESCRIPTION / TAGS / TITLE
Make the title clear and use keywords. Your audience is everyone searching for the media in your compilation video. If you have a Lebron James compilation video, your title could be "Best Lebron James Shots EVER (2012-2014)" or something similar. Your description should include the games he has played in that are included in the video. If he's famous for let's say "Lebron James New York halfcourt shot" or something, make sure that's in your description & tags and also in your video.
You get the point.

You want to make sure you capture as many people as possible by ranking in tons of possible searches. Don't go overboard with specifics and keep it general. Instead of "Lebron James Best Free Throws" say "Lebron James Best Shots" so perhaps people looking for 3-pointers will see it, instead of just people looking for free throws.

Make sure you give out links to all the content in the description and put some text (in the video) referring to each clip in the video so people know what they're watching.

INTRO
In the intro, start off with the first clip you're including - Don't start saying "Hey I'm Joe and today I'm showing you...". I made this mistake and have found it better to jump into the juicy stuff to get people interested FAST. After the first clip, that's when you say "Alright, you just watched ____. My name's Joe and today I'm showing you the Top 10 _____. Time for me to shut up, enjoy and see you later!" Cue second, third, etc clips.

OUTRO
You can have an outro saying something like "Make sure you subscribe for more compilation videos just like this one. Subscribing lets you see all my future compilation videos as soon as they're released. My name's Joe - Thanks for watching my Top 10 ____ and I'll see ya later".
This encourages people to subscribe for a specific reason - To see more videos like the one they just watched to the very end (a good indicator they enjoyed it).

Another good way to get your outro attention is to do something like
"Hey I'm Joe. Before I show you the last clip, I'd like to thank my loyal fans for helping me find the BEST ___ for this video. If you're not subscribed, subscribe to see more videos just like this one & maybe even help me create them!" Cue last clip. End video.

ONE LAST THING - Do not - Do NOT make a video compilation of illegally obtained material. That means you should NOT upload a video that you like if it has copyrighted music in it (if the video doesn't have people speaking, strip the audio and add your own legally obtained music from YouTube's audio library). That means you should NOT upload a video that includes videos from famous people, networks etc.
Good advice :)

Brickpro

GFX artist, Tech Reviewer, VFX!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Designer, Other
Great Advice! I need to make my intros better.

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Most Emotional Coming Out Videos EVER! 2015
^Just one possible compilation video that would fit your genre, based on your signature video.

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Offcoarse I follow these advices, I wish there was a narrow track to get sudden 1000 views LOL
But anyways best of luck to everyone and myself :D

Brickpro

GFX artist, Tech Reviewer, VFX!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Designer, Other
Offcoarse I follow these advices, I wish there was a narrow track to get sudden 1000 views LOL
:p don't we all

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
:p don't we all
Hey Jawad & Brickpro, I hope you both read my post as it is my answer for you. Forget about instant 1,000 views. Forget about an instant 1,000 subscribers. Focus your work on getting the attention of search results and you can have some quick wins.

I get all my views from titles/descriptions/tags that I know will show up in popular search results.

To demonstrate this, I made a new YouTube account 3 weeks ago and made the video "How to Customize YouTube Layout 2015 - YouTube Expert Tutorials".
I had 0 other videos, 0 subscribers, 0 marketing, 0 word of mouth (well, I linked to it in a YTTalk tutorial, but that's it).

It currently has 167 views and the amount of views per day is rising. The last tracked day (due to analytics delay) was Feb 5, which brought in 17 views.

We can also see that just under 60% of all views are coming from YouTube search results, which is awesome as that's what my plan was for this video.

Tailor some of your content for search results. Make some videos that people are SEARCHING for. For example, 2015 Tax Returns Guide - Put your spin on it! or Thoughts on *Insert Recent Event Here*.

The trick to being found is putting out content that leads people to you. That sounds so lame and obvious, but I consistently see YouTubers hoping to be "found" or hoping to be popular and famous and yet all their content revolves around their lives, which nobody is searching for because nobody knows them. The trick is delivering CONTENT that people want, and putting your own spin on it which leads them to return to YOU - but content is always first.

Reactions: Jawad Soomro

Squeal Cat

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Never thought of a compilation, nut I'm sure that will give my channel a small boost :D I think I should try one!