Earning Money From Stolen Videos?

MrDankYT

Reaction score
So theres these channels that just shitpost poorly edited, zoomed in episodes of family guy, and some got ads in them! how is Youtube allowing this and can't they get in trouble for earning money that way?
example:

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
In many cases, the proper rights holders detect the audio anyway and the videos are claimed.
You wouldn't know because, you just see the ads but you don't know who is actually getting the revenue.

Reactions: KatyAdelson
Reaction score
What about all of these compilation channels that continue to be monetized and get millions of views for uploading other people's videos? Soldier Homecomings, Pregnancy Announcements, America's Got Talent videos, Prank videos, etc., These channels continue to make 6+ figures while someone with a struggling channel gets a copyright strike for the most ridiculous things that aren't even clear in their rules.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I agree with you; it's annoying to see people apparently prospering from posting content that has been created by somebody else.
You have to try to see it from YouTube's point of view as well though. They have hundreds of millions of videos on their site, are constantly checking for copyright abuse and demonetising or removing channels, they also allow for viewers to report on abusive content. It's hard to see what more they can do.
Channels such as the ones that you mention will eventually get discovered, and action will be taken. The owners of these channels have a very short sighted view of how to build something meaningful. Personally I would rather focus on producing unique content and a subscriber base that will stand the test of time.

Reactions: KatyAdelson
Reaction score
You have to try to see it from YouTube's point of view as well though. They have hundreds of millions of videos on their site, are constantly checking for copyright abuse and demonetising or removing channels, they also allow for viewers to report on abusive content. It's hard to see what more they can do.
Channels such as the ones that you mention will eventually get discovered, and action will be taken. The owners of these channels have a very short sighted view of how to build something meaningful. Personally I would rather focus on producing unique content and a subscriber base that will stand the test of time.
That's the point, though. These channels have been reported. Many times by many people. Nothing happens. How can youtube not notice a video that gets a million views in less than a week? They see these channels but they're bringing in money for YouTube so they get over-looked while YouTube goes after smaller channels for unexplainable violations.

YouTube has different rules for different levels of money-makers for them. Action will be taken against them at the very last possible moment. And these channels don't care about building anything meaningful. They're strictly trying to ride the gravy train as long as they can. Plain and simple.

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Things is a bit slow with Youtube from time to time but I think that most of them will get shut down eventually. I also think YT chack the channel before they pay ad-revenue, but I´m not 100% sure about that (I never got paid) :)

iratei

Reaction score
I agree with you; it's annoying to see people apparently prospering from posting content that has been created by somebody else.
wont be feasible for much longer. The belief that your unique content and a subscriber bsse that will stand the test of time is what Youtube tell themselves too, in a flustered panic.
Plan for transferring to another platform.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
wont be feasible for much longer. The belief that your unique content and a subscriber bsse that will stand the test of time is what Youtube tell themselves too, in a flustered panic.
Plan for transferring to another platform.
I think that you and I are using YouTube for different reasons.

If you use YouTube exclusively for entertainment and produce videos purely for entertainment then I can understand the frustration when you see other users getting away with monetising videos that are in clear violation of copyright. If as you say some of these are reported and no action is taken, then something is very wrong.
If on the other hand you use YouTube as a search engine and produce videos that are designed to educate and inform the viewers, then unique, quality content will always win out.
No matter how many videos of Family Guy, Judge Judy, or Dr Phil are abusively posted on YouTube... the person who is searching for information about the new Audi A4, or wants a recipe for vegetable lasagna, or needs to know how to fit a new toilet seat, will always be able to find the answer to his questions on YouTube. It is without a doubt the greatest video-based search engine on the planet.

I think it will be a very very long time before a platform of this kind can be replaced. Far better to stick with it in the confidence that it is gradually improving.