Earn money: main reason or side effect?

Main reason or side effect?

• main reason

• side effect

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mister20seven

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
I hope I'm in the right section with this and this isn't beeing discussed already.

So I would like to know what he majority of this community is doing youtube for? Did you start to make videos because you thought it was a good chance to earn some bucks or are you mainly having fun with filming / creating / ... and earning some bucks is just a positive side effect, but would do it eitherway?
( and please be honest ;) )

For me it's just a bonus.
Even tough I'm interested in strategies, how to grow your channel and related stuff since a few weeks, the main reason for me is having fun while filming and editing. If it leads to some bucks, why not?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hendog1981

Dig

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I don't think you'll find many people on a dedicated YouTube forum that are just looking for a quick buck. Heck, I think a majority of people over here aren't even earning that much, if at all. I think the sheer act of joining a forum such as this is a display of willingness to do *something* with one's channel, some effort put into it beyond merely shoveling trash onto the site. Regardless of whether that effort is fruitful, I think joining and participating in a dedicated community displays a purity of intent.

But yeah, rambling aside, I'm in it for the good times :relaxedphones: This is something that comes naturally and that I do out of enjoyment, YouTube is just a way of not hogging the music for myself :D And if someone gets something positive out of what I just do on my own anyway, than that's awesome! The more the merrier, right? :winkphones:

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the Video Monetization discussion forum. ^^

Hendog1981

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
I do it very much so for creative reasons, but I wouldn't mind making some money from it. I love editing and learning how to do new things creatively and Youtube definitely helps out with that . I've never thought of YouTube as something to completely replace a paying job. If it could get to point where it pays a bill here and there I would be more than happy.

Reactions: Mister20seven

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I hope I'm in the right section with this and this isn't beeing discussed already.
I've got the feeling that many people are only youtubing because of earning money and flooding youtube with low quality / rushed videos & clickbait stuff and are just hoping on any trend instead of trying to create some quality content ( just my opinion, other people might think this of my videos as well :D)
No offense to anyone, if it works for someone, it's good for them.

So I would like to know what he majority of this community is doing youtube for? Just for the money or are you mainly having fun with filming / creating videos / ... and earning some bucks is just a positive side effect ( and please be honest ;) )

For me it's just a bonus.
Even tough I'm interested in strategies, how to grow your channel and related stuff since a few weeks, the main reason for me is having fun while filming and editing. If it leads to some bucks, why not?
I started my channel before I knew you could even earn money. Once we got Lola (our first dog), I got a message saying we could monetize. Of course I monetized, but I think I'd record and post just as much as I do now even if no money was involved. The money just makes me promote my videos more

Reactions: Mister20seven

CrazFrank

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Dig has it down. This is a forum dedicated to dedicated creators. You will hardly find anyone here not willing to put the time on it.

I want the money, i aint going to beat around the bush here. MY goal will always be money but just because that is the goal does not mean i will not do things right or enjoy them. I am a failed 3d animator who never got inspired enough to do anything than the bare minimum and now im using youtube as a way to learn what i did not learn in my past and swell it gives me an outlet to put some skills to use.

I Really want to make a living out of youtube, but i want to do it the right way and if 20 years is what it's gonna take for me to get there then so be it.

Mister20seven

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
I don't think you'll find many people on a dedicated YouTube forum that are just looking for a quick buck. Heck, I think a majority of people over here aren't even earning that much, if at all. I think the sheer act of joining a forum such as this is a display of willingness to do *something* with one's channel,....
Dig has it down. This is a forum dedicated to dedicated creators. You will hardly find anyone here not willing to put the time on it.
I get your points, maybe the sentence about low-quality videos etc. doesn't really fit in my opening post and I mixed my two thoughts :D I think I'm going to edit it.
I didn't want to say that people around here don't put work in their videos, that was meant for youtube generally. Nowadays everybody has at least a good camera in their phone with some cutting software, so in first place it's easy to be a youtuber ( and today everybody knows you can earn money with it).

So I was interested, if it was more like " you can earn money with that, I'm going to try to make videos" and then got into it or if it was more like Munchito696 said it.

Dig

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I get your points, maybe the sentence about low-quality videos etc. doesn't really fit in my opening post and I mixed my two thoughts :D I think I'm going to edit it.
I didn't want to say that people around here don't put work in their videos, that was meant for youtube generally. Nowadays everybody has at least a good camera in their phone with some cutting software, so in first place it's easy to be a youtuber ( and today everybody knows you can earn money with it).

So I was interested, if it was more like " you can earn money with that, I'm going to try to make videos" and then got into it or if it was more like Munchito696 said it.
Nah dude, I didn't take your post as an affront or anything, no need to edit it :) I merely wanted to explain the vibe I've gathered from hanging around this place. Most people here are truly passionate about their channels, and that passion is somewhat displayed by them being here in the first place. Now as for the "I can earn money making videos, I'm gonna give it a shot"? Sure, there is a chunk of those people, but they usually come and go. The ones who are generally or even periodically active around here tend to view money as a bonus perk, simply 'cause any serious money is hard to come by on YouTube. 'Cause let's face it, there are A LOT of better ways to make money than waiting to break out on YT :D With sooooo many people trying to eat the same pie, YT is hardly a "get rich quick" kinda deal

Again, not trying to be defensive or offended, if I come across that way than that's on me :) I understood the question, it just happens that the answer will be pretty ubiquitous IMO :)

EDIT: And just as I finished typing this, I went to answer the poll and friggin missclicked the "main reason" option... There is no facepalm big enough :facepalm2:

Any way to edit your response in these things?

Mister20seven

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Nah dude, I didn't take your post as an affront or anything, no need to edit it :) I merely wanted to explain the vibe I've gathered from hanging around this place. Most people here are truly passionate about their channels, and that passion is somewhat displayed by them being here in the first place. Now as for the "I can earn money making videos, I'm gonna give it a shot"? Sure, there is a chunk of those people, but they usually come and go. The ones who are generally or even periodically active around here tend to view money as a bonus perk, simply 'cause any serious money is hard to come by on YouTube. 'Cause let's face it, there are A LOT of better ways to make money than waiting to break out on YT :D With sooooo many people trying to eat the same pie, YT is hardly a "get rich quick" kinda deal

Again, not trying to be defensive or offended, if I come across that way than that's on me :) I understood the question, it just happens that the answer will be pretty ubiquitous IMO :)

EDIT: And just as I finished typing this, I went to answer the poll and friggin missclicked the "main reason" option... There is no facepalm big enough :facepalm2:

Any way to edit your response in these things?
Haha you can change your vote now, I found out where to edit the setting.
I wasn't offended or anything, I just realized that mixing the part with the crappy videos and stuff into this topic, may lead this into a direction I didn't want this to go :)

And now we can discuss the definition of earning money on yt ;)
If I could maybe buy a playstation game or some cheaper equipment for my GoPro after a year, I would see it as a total success :D

Of course there are way better alternatives to make money. I heard people do have real jobs for example :D

Dig

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Haha you can change your vote now, I found out where to edit the setting.
I wasn't offended or anything, I just realized that mixing the part with the crappy videos and stuff into this topic, may lead this into a direction I didn't want this to go :)

And now we can discuss the definition of earning money on yt ;)
If I could maybe buy a playstation game or some cheaper equipment for my GoPro after a year, I would see it as a total success :D

Of course there are way better alternatives to make money. I heard people do have real jobs for example :D
Yes, I too have heard of these mythical "real jobs". Legend has it that our ancestors would call upon their arcane powers to grant them sustenance and shelter, yet their existence has yet to be proven :D