Dummies guide to partnerships

vgjfelix

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
My apologies if there is already a thread on this but are there any good guides or articles about what partnerships are and how they work, jargon busting, pros, cons etc. I'm not that interested in particular partners just yet. I just want to try and get my head into the workings of it.

Cheers.

Vgjfelix

Reactions: mattv2099

Gus Monkeyton

Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
My apologies if there is already a thread on this but are there any good guides or articles about what partnerships are and how they work, jargon busting, pros, cons etc. I'm not that interested in particular partners just yet. I just want to try and get my head into the workings of it.

Cheers.

Vgjfelix
Hey, here is something that has been helpful to me. It outline a lot of things when considering networks.
http://www.rocketjump.com/blog/youtube-networks-7-things-you-need-to-know

Additional helpful stuff.
http://www.rocketjump.com/blog/the-secrets-of-youtube-success-updated

I am currently a YouTube Partner, but after getting approached by a network recently I've started to see what's out there and research. YouTube/Google are definitely pushing everyone to the network partnering model. I do wonder how it will change YouTube in the long run.

Hopefully that helps.

-Gus :)

Reactions: vgjfelix and Kiesha

Kiesha

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Hey, here is something that has been helpful to me. It outline a lot of things when considering networks.

I am currently a YouTube Partner, but after getting approached by a network recently I've started to see what's out there and research. YouTube/Google are definitely pushing everyone to the network partnering model. I do wonder how it will change YouTube in the long run.

Hopefully that helps.

I read these and they are awesome resources *bookmarked*! Definitely do your research. I signed with a company and it seemed like their professionalism went down hill since I signed. I will be researching new networks when my contract is up. Thanks for posting. :)

Gus Monkeyton

Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I read these and they are awesome resources *bookmarked*! Definitely do your research. I signed with a company and it seemed like their professionalism went down hill since I signed. I will be researching new networks when my contract is up. Thanks for posting. :)
Hey Kiesha, I'm glad you found the info useful. :)

I mentioned in some other threads that I was approached by a sub-network of BroadbandTV, which is in the top ten I guess. I couldn't believe it when they told me that they worked of a 60/40 revenue split and a 5 year contract. 5 years is just crazy. They said they would promote my channel blah blah etc. Well, I'm keeping an eye on some of their partnered channels to see if they grow. (I still would never sign with them) but I want to see if the network's promotion helps the smaller channels. After contract length and duration that should be everyone's question of any network... : "how are you going to promote my channel and help me grow?" I'm curious to find out more from other networks to see how they promote, because if we as creators pay 10-40%, we should expect some goo promotion. Just like a talent agent.

Reactions: Kiesha

Kiesha

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Hey Kiesha, I'm glad you found the info useful. :)

I mentioned in some other threads that I was approached by a sub-network of BroadbandTV, which is in the top ten I guess. I couldn't believe it when they told me that they worked of a 60/40 revenue split and a 5 year contract. 5 years is just crazy. They said they would promote my channel blah blah etc. Well, I'm keeping an eye on some of their partnered channels to see if they grow. (I still would never sign with them) but I want to see if the network's promotion helps the smaller channels. After contract length and duration that should be everyone's question of any network... : "how are you going to promote my channel and help me grow?" I'm curious to find out more from other networks to see how they promote, because if we as creators pay 10-40%, we should expect some goo promotion. Just like a talent agent.
I totally agree with this (bold) part.

I think 5 years is ridiculous! YouTube may not be around in another 5 years...nothing online is certain. I like how one of the articles mentioned negotiation and how we should treat this like a business partnership. I think that a lot of channels don't know their worth and are too afraid to ask for what they want. The network sees potential (ie: $$$) and that is why they are offering partnership in the first place. I wish I would have found this article first. I don't feel like I got screwed. But I would have liked to have more info on working with networks. That's all. Good luck in your research! :)

vgjfelix

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator

Hopefully that helps.

Thanks for the info. It wasn't quite what I was after but useful non the less.