Dual PC gaming capture

NickDodd

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Other
Howdy everyone,

I've been wanting to make videos on gaming and I've been wondering how you do it?

I've seen setups where the gaming takes place on one pc and video piped into another where the actual recording happens in order to free up resources for the actual gaming.

Where this works for me is I have two PC's that I could do this with.

What's your experience?

Last edited by a moderator:

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
With my main PC I run a game capture program along with the game, I'm not a graphics freak so usually the graphics plus the game capture doesn't impact the framerate. With older machines where the impact may be visible I use a VGA to HDMI converter combined with a frame grabbing device. If you have two PCs and enough space though the frame grabbing device solution may be the most optimal performance wise.

Reactions: NickDodd

NickDodd

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
With my main PC I run a game capture program along with the game, I'm not a graphics freak so usually the graphics plus the game capture doesn't impact the framerate. With older machines where the impact may be visible I use a VGA to HDMI converter combined with a frame grabbing device. If you have two PCs and enough space though the frame grabbing device solution may be the most optimal performance wise.
What do you mean by frame grabbing device? Like an HDMI capture card?

I have a video capture card in one of my towers that I've used in the past to record NES output etc... is that what you mean or like an accessory to the computer between the two?

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I have a video capture card in one of my towers that I've used in the past to record NES output etc... is that what you mean or like an accessory to the computer between the two?
There's both internal and external versions of those devices, I use the LGP Lite by Avermedia that is external (basically, you put it between the machine you want to capture on and the TV and plug it through USB inside the second PC), I guess your internal capture card works in a similar way.

NickDodd

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
There's both internal and external versions of those devices, I use the LGP Lite by Avermedia that is external (basically, you put it between the machine you want to capture on and the TV and plug it through USB inside the second PC), I guess your internal capture card works in a similar way.
Yeah, thanks for clarifying your use case.

My PCI card takes the video out of my device (in this case my laptop video out mirror) and I have software that records the video in from the card. Only issue with the card I have is it only takes video in and no audio.

But that's not a huge problem.

Photo blog: nickdodd DOT ca

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Frame grabbing is good if you use it to capture original video footage from some exotic hardware or machine, but for PC or even mobile gaming it's not a preferred choice, since it introduces lag and blur.
I've seen some posts on OBS forums that frame grabbing devices are obsolete, especially with the new high end processors and graphics cards.
With that being said I plan to buy BlackMagic DeckLink 8K Pro, so I can record my Mac Mini G4, AmigaOne X1000 and the many more exotic machines that I have, but then again I am addicted to recording screens, even if that's not my main source of views on YouTube.

NickDodd

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Frame grabbing is good if you use it to capture original video footage from some exotic hardware or machine, but for PC or even mobile gaming it's not a preferred choice, since it introduces lag and blur.
I've seen some posts on OBS forums that frame grabbing devices are obsolete, especially with the new high end processors and graphics cards.
With that being said I plan to buy BlackMagic DeckLink 8K Pro, so I can record my Mac Mini G4, AmigaOne X1000 and the many more exotic machines that I have, but then again I am addicted to recording screens, even if that's not my main source of views on YouTube.
So is frame grabbing capturing video at a set frame rate rather than the video as seen on your pc (60fps explicit vs 120fps or whatever?)

Photo blog: nickdodd DOT ca