DSLR vs conventional video cameras

Derek M

ginga ninja
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've noticed that indie directors often use DSLR's now, and I was wondering why. I already bought a true video-camera for under $300 but i'd like to know why people are using dslr's nowadays... they seem too expensive for just shooting video. Idk...

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I can only speak for myself but i use a Nikon D5100 and the HD video I can get is beautiful in my eyes. Not to mention beyond video I also do Photography. I recommend DSLR's to any filmmaker because you have to learn and understand lighting and how a camera really works.

JostenVlogs

I Vlog Everday On Youtube
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
its what the professionals use and like With all respect said you have to learn how a camera works with lighting and etc. But there are plenty of reviews about dslr's on youtube.

Wyatt Kane

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Reviewer
I have a Canon T3i with Magic Lantern firmware and it shoots some of the best video.
In my mind worth any penny.

John The Dad

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
90% of music videos are filmed on a DSLR. I've used one for my Pro work and I'm investing in a Canon 1D.

Eric Krueger

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
I also use a Canon T3i with Magic Lantern firmware and it is awesome, it will take some time to lean how to use it in manual settings but it will help you achieve the "film look" and people will notice the difference in your videos!

Derek M

ginga ninja
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Alright, let me put it this way. What would give me a higher-video quality? DSLR or a camcorder if the cap price was $300?

Wyatt Kane

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Reviewer
Alright, let me put it this way. What would give me a higher-video quality? DSLR or a camcorder if the cap price was $300?
There really isn't an option for a DSLR under $300. You can get a T3i with a good lens for $600-900.
With the DSLR it's all about the lenses. You can get way better video with a DSLR than a video camera in that price range.

But really it's all about the look that you are going for.
For what I do, i would pick a DSLR every time. I have tons of lenses to choose from.
Also keep in mind that most music videos are shot on Canon 5D's now, and some TV shows are switching too.

There isn't really an end all reason, but you are right, in the $300 range there really isn't any DSLR option.

Cheers

TheBKangsta

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Okay since many of you guys are not giving concrete answers, I will since I am a filmmaker myself.

DSLR's:
-Ability to rack focus and create your subject isolated from others.
-Higher MP than most other cameras. Canons these days have 18mp or higher.
-Ability to switch out lenses to others such as ultra wide angle, fisheye, telephoto, medium telephoto, macro, etc...
-Ability to control your settings. Set the shutter speed, aperture (controls DOF), ISO, resolution, and fps.

The main thing is that you are saying that at a $300 budget, the quality on consumer cameras and DSLR's are very poor. You may be able to get a HD sony handycam for that money, but the settings and creativity are limited. If you are not going to use DSLR's for photography and cinematic videos and things like that, just go with a consumer camcorder and that will be fine. But if you are willing to pay the extra cash to get more of the customization and quality, dslr's are definitely worth it.