Double Dipping from Large Networks

Franklin

Yugituber
Reaction score
Website
awesomecardgames.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am surprised I have not see many people talk about this subject. As many of you know, major networks such as ESPN, Fox, WWE, and various TV shows are on Youtube. I am sure you may have noticed their ADS appear as adsense ads on their videos. I think they are playing the system. They pay Google to put Ads on videos and those same ads are appearing on their videos. In reality, they're getting their money back through adsense by getting their ads on their channels.

Here is an example.

I'm watching a video on ESPN's Youtube channel and the ad for the video is from ESPN.

Youtube needs a fair system in place. Your ads (adsense ads) should not appear on your videos.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Except, even in a best case scenario, YouTube is still collecting their 45%.

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
It's not really that big of a deal, imo. It'd be like buying your own merch. Obviously, you'd make some of that money back and would get it 'cheaper' in a sense than other customers would, but the company producing the merch would still take a cut of the profit for producing the t-shirt or whatever you're selling. So by running an ad for your own product on your own channel, you'd still be paying YT more money than you'd be gaining, because they take 45%. And advertising to people who already know your product (and would hence be subbed to the channel in the first place) kinda defeats the purpose. The ad costs less, but YT's really the only one profiting from that.

Reactions: videoeditgr

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Win-win. Plus (i guess) that ads are expenses that they declare in their tax papers. Guess there is a difference how companies and individuals use Youtube :) Oh wait!.. It is no YOUtube any more :p

TensorMonkey

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Ads are designed to get you to buy/do things based on things algorithms think you like. It's not weird at all to be on ESPN and get ESPN ads if it's what you're interested in. It's also not technically double dipping as it's just another revenue stream.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Their net spend (adwords) will be higher than what those ads earn them (adsense)

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As @Crown mentioned: It costs them far more than in brings in.

This reminds me of those saps using Facebook to drive views to their YouTube channel. I got 30 bucks for free to spend on an ad one time, I used it to advertise a video that was not doing too hot on YouTube, and got just a few hundred views. Advertising is pointless unless you have a product worth selling. Downside? Facebook keeps asking me to boost my posts now. Super annoying.