Don't be afraid to read off the script

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I review video games and make lists on my channel, and as such, one of the most important parts of the video-making process is the script. And if you make scripted content, you know how difficult it can be to put the right words down to get your thoughts across. But there's a technique I find really helpful in improving your scripts - improvisation.

So you might be wondering: how the hell would I improve my script by doing something different than what I wrote down?

Sure, it might make little sense on paper. But I think it's incredibly useful to not always stick to what's in your script. I don't mean that you shouldn't have a script or that you should improvise every single line. I'm talking more about keeping yourself flexible when you go to record. Think about this: the written word and the spoken word are two entirely different things. What looks good written might not sound good spoken. My previous sentence, for example, I would definitely rewrite if I were going to record it - but since it's just meant to be read, I don't feel the need to change it.

When it comes to voiceover/narration, the most important quality it needs is to sound natural. The number one hurdle that people have to get across when recording their voice (other than all the technical stuff) is making it sound like they're not just reading off a script. If you make the effort to pay attention to how your voice sounds when you read your script, you'll notice phrases that you could word better and can make changes then and there. Trust me, it'll save you lots of headaches if you look back on your videos during editing/after publishing and say "wow, I should have said something different."

I guess the point in this little ramble is this: listen to yourself when you're recording. I don't mean that you play back every single take; instead, be conscious of what you're saying and how you're saying it as you're saying it. Don't just accept a take because you read every word in the line perfectly. If you can think of a better line, then record it. Then you can decide in the editing phase which version sounds better. This is something I don't see a lot of YouTubers doing because they're afraid to deviate from the script, and it's a habit I think should be broken.

Hope at least part of this helps somebody out there :)

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is good advice but it takes practice to not end up like me improvising the whole video...

OldManTenno

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
For my heavily edited stuff I do script it out (especially doing voiceover), but I do not feel that I have to stick to the exact words. I think scripting is good because you can have time to articulate what you want to say. I do listen to what I say and how I say it, in hopes of making it more natural and engaging. For stuff that has me on cam, I usually just have a rough outline for key points I want to hit.

Last edited:

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I script my videos, but when I’m recording I don’t always use the exact wording I had written down. I usually write down a script so my videos aren’t all over the place

Iron-Will

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I tend to make 'dot point' scripts, of the main topics I want to elaborate on. So then I have my guidance, but the delivery (hopefully) seems more natural!

You need to watch out that a fully scripted video doesn't come across as robotic (unless that's the angle you're going for haha).