Doing Youtube Full time?

winson yuen

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
How many subscribers and views per month do you think a channel must need in order to drop everything and pursue YouTube as their full-time job?

I know a friend's brother of mine that dropped out of college at 100K subs generating about few hundred thousand views per month and is apparently living a great lifestyle. I find this interesting, drop your opinions down below ;)

Maxemole

Resident Potato
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
How many subscribers and views per month do you think a channel must need in order to drop everything and pursue YouTube as their full-time job?

I know a friend's brother of mine that dropped out of college at 100K subs generating about few hundred thousand views per month and is apparently living a great lifestyle. I find this interesting, drop your opinions down below ;)
Most YouTubers I follow tend to move full time at 100k. I don't know if that's just a milestone to get people to join in or if that's the time to do it, but it seems to be a pretty reliable number.

Reactions: winson yuen

winson yuen

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Most YouTubers I follow tend to move full time at 100k. I don't know if that's just a milestone to get people to join in or if that's the time to do it, but it seems to be a pretty reliable number.
Agreed. I feel like once one have 100K, smaller companies and other affiliations will come flooding in.

Reactions: Maxemole

SmartTheDumb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I'd probably go balls in at 50k. I can live with barely any money (I have no idea how much someone with 50k subs earns) . Knowing that 50k people were interested in watching me would be more than enough of a reason to dedicate myself to their entertainment.

mr.jacks

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
100k seems decent not knowing how much one would make but I feel like whether if your doing it for a hobby or plan on making it a job just in case you always want to do the best you can on your channel and in time when you cross that bridge you can decide to drop everything and do it full time good luck!

Reactions: winson yuen

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think you'd need about 3 million views a month to live comfortably just off ad revenue. But if you have sponsorships and paid promotions then that will top up your income. I've set myself a goal of reaching that a month before I quit my job

Reactions: nad and winson yuen

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
It's a pretty simple calculation.

How much money do you need / want per month in $ ?
Multiply that number by 1000
= That's how many views you need per month.

(That doesn't allow for taxes and any expenses. So you could probably increase that monthly view target by 20%

Example: someone who is targeting $2,000 would need 2 million views per month. (Plus 20% to allow for taxes / expenses)

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
It's a pretty simple calculation.

How much money do you need / want per month in $ ?
Multiply that number by 1000
= That's how many views you need per month.

(That doesn't allow for taxes and any expenses. So you could probably increase that monthly view target by 20%

Example: someone who is targeting $2,000 would need 2 million views per month. (Plus 20% to allow for taxes / expenses)
I think it also depends from what country you're from. Here in Canada I get about $1 for every 400-600 views without taking into account tax and expenses. Or perhaps it's different depending on your niche and type of ads you get?

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I think it also depends from what country you're from. Here in Canada I get about $1 for every 400-600 views without taking into account tax and expenses. Or perhaps it's different depending on your niche and type of ads you get?
It's the same for me too, but the $1 / 1000 is the conservative worldwide average. :)

TylersMagic

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think it also depends if you are living only off ad revenue or if you have another source of income. If you sell your own products, use affiliate links, use patreon, get sponsorships, etc... you'll be able to make a living with fewer subscribers.