Doing what the gurus tell me to do, still very little growth!

OldNotDead

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have watched several (100s) of videos from so called "You Tube gurus" and still have very little (very slow) following their so called advice. Has anyone else followed their advice and had slow to little growth? Or am I being impatient?

OldNotDead

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Youtube "gurus" are mostly predating on gullible new youtubers for views. They know as much as anyone else.
You are right. I am finding that out. Time to start hitting the drum to my own beat. They do have some good points to use but I am thinking slow and steady and "my way" will get me growning faster.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Many of the "gurus" have grown big channels by telling others how to grow a big channel. The "how to grow a channel" is a niche all in itself. It's kind of like people who got rich telling people how to get rich. I'm not saying that their advice is bad or that they're being dishonest, but tbh most of the stuff they churn out is just common sense anyway.

I'd have a lot more respect for some of the so-called experts if they could show that they've grown a successful channel outside of the "how to grow a channel" niche. :)

Aryssa

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I watched one girls video where she said that she was making "how to grow your channel" videos simply because she bought subs and views and then thanks to old YT algorithm she got noticed in the search bar. I forgot her name though if I find her I'll link it but main point is they don't know anything special and they're using such titles to attract traffic to their own channels

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
"Gurus" generally regurgitate each other. Their advice, although valid and generally correct, is just the tip of the iceberg, and is tailored to complete newbies. Think of it as first semester college freshman class with the textbook "YouTube 101". It's time to dig deeper and see how things really work. Study the more in depth posts on here.

The NotARubicon!

NotARubicon Productions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Like everyone else has already pointed out, the "gurus" are just regurgitating what little bits of information Youtube/Google publishes, and yup, they prey on the new/gullible. You have probably learned pretty much all there is to know - now its just a matter of quality, volume, and luck...

Reactions: nad

darkstarmedia

Words are great.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Seconding what everyone else above here has said, more or less. Crown's right, it is mostly common sense.

Also not to mention that none of what they tell you ever GUARANTEES growth, it just implies that growth will happen if you do things the way the website wants you to. Honestly, I think YouTube's weekly algorithm adjustments are what's keeping that genre alive.

Maybe they're in cahoots!

OldNotDead

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I watched one girls video where she said that she was making "how to grow your channel" videos simply because she bought subs and views and then thanks to old YT algorithm she got noticed in the search bar. I forgot her name though if I find her I'll link it but main point is they don't know anything special and they're using such titles to attract traffic to their own channels

The gurus know everything we do I am finding out. So I'll just keep growing my way and have fun doing it. If it puts a smile on someone's face or makes someone's ponder what I have to say, Great. If not, maybe years from now someone will see my videos and have a laugh or thought!

Cheers,
Scott[DOUBLEPOST=1494127439,1494127394][/DOUBLEPOST]Starting to see that![DOUBLEPOST=1494127650][/DOUBLEPOST]
Seconding what everyone else above here has said, more or less. Crown's right, it is mostly common sense.

Also not to mention that none of what they tell you ever GUARANTEES growth, it just implies that growth will happen if you do things the way the website wants you to. Honestly, I think YouTube's weekly algorithm adjustments are what's keeping that genre alive.

Maybe they're in cahoots!

Thanks for your reply. I am starting to get a clearer picture of how this You Tube thingy is working. LOL. I will have to just keep producing more video that are fun for me and hopefully for others. Of course, if I grow...all the better.

Cheers
Scott

Reactions: darkstarmedia

Jenna no manga

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Warning this is not to be out of place but to help.

(I quit Youtube so do not check my channel saying well you do not do that you have no banner and your thumbnails are awful.. I know XD)

So I disagree with most of the answers here. If you do not want to take hours going through Youtube playbooks and many updates Youtube : gurus might have good advices for you. Not everyone is internet Savyy or knows how Youtube works. Watch Roberto blake's live he has a lot of insight on marketing for example.

Some remarks about Old not dead channel's :

- Your profile picture could be better it is actually hard to see it is a funny hat on your head.

- Your banner's name is not centered and on mobile it is probably not even possible to guess what it is.

- There is no upload schedule on your banner, or a hint about what your channel is about.

- You do have a channel trailer but the description again does not say what your channel is about or a schedule.

- I watched the trailer and finally I know what your videos are about. I guess you do not have a schedule so you could say "I upload sevral times a week" or give an approximation.

- You could say on your banner, enjoying life and sharing my passion for golf, good food and drones in (arizona?) so if someone was to click on your channel the banner says it all.

- Your thumbnails are too crowded and the font your are using on the drone videos not very attractive. To be honest I stopped using fonts in the past until a guru recomended Canvas design website you can make free thumbnails, banners etc... They have nice fonts. You recent videos seem to use different font though so I don't know.

- Your video's are not search friendly, noone will searched for flyover hole 6. Maybe beautiful golf course sky view , amazing sky view of blabla golf course? Something searchable and catchy. Maybe review golf gear to attract people that like golf and say you have drone videos of this or this golf court.

(An example for this : I live in Japan, I might go to a park that noone knows about called kokkekoko, well I will not put kokkekoko in the title but something like Beautiful japanese garden in Tokyo , then add kokkekoko if I have space in the title, tags, and description but searchable terms should be first )

Use tubebuddy to actually use keywords/sentences that are searched a lot and that do not have too much competition. One of your videos might rank and bring people to your channel. Golf enthousiasts are a thing so you can build a community around this, or around drones, then add all the funny things you do.

For your playlist you wrote drone video. How about reviewing the drone and writing also in the video's title description and tags what drone you use. Everytime you use something add an affiliate link so people that want it can buy them. So many time I wondered what is this person using, there is no link so I look for another video. Same for golf gear (videos like best golf club, review of (brand name) club / golf bag etc.. great presents for someone that love golf, a golfer, or else, my mom loves golf but I know nothing about it, nothing)

Your playlist does not have descriptions by the way. And again they should be searchable terms. Sometimes I search english songs for kids and what comes on top are playlists.

You are using the tags but you are using tags that are probably not searched. Even your funny fridays could be lable daddy jokes. If you made a series of daddy jokes , you could tag them as best daddy jokes, worst daddy jokes etc... It is an exemple. Tubebuddy is free to use.

You could also add old not dead in your tags if you have space. By the way I am not sure people search ha ha ha, but I might be wrong. You could say try not to laugh at this joke challenge or else...

In my opinion golf, drones food you could find your community, but the thing is that they have to find you that is how it works on youtube. And they need to click the videos.

I mean gurus give a lot of value but sometimes you think you are applying what they say but you are really not.

If you want to build a community you have to know what you are sharing clearly and then SEO will be the way to grow.