doing it for the $$$

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If I wasnt getting paid I would do something else with my time.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I think it is great that so many new avenues are opening up for creative people to make money. I tell my kids all the time that they are lucky to be alive in such a wonderful time in human history (they usually roll their eyes and groan when I say that...).

Not just YouTube, but many other social media platforms give everybody a chance to make an income in so many different ways. FaceBook has allowed people to open up lucrative businesses from the comfort of their own home, Instagram has become a major platform for digital influencers, YouTube we all know has brought financial success to thousands of people...the world has changed considerably over the last ten years and the way that people can make a living is changing too. It's only a good thing in my view.

Reactions: Ryan ToysReview

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
The only reason I want to earn money from doing this is so I can do what i love for a living and make a success of myself. Fighting to get out of the 9-5 and striving for something better for myself.

nad

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I easily spent over 1000 hours on my channel.
I doubt very much that I would have spend more than 100 hours on the channel if there wouldn't be money involved.
Of course it's not all about the money. If someone would offer me a job in which I get double the hourly salary compared to my YouTube job, I wouldn't take it.
Because having a YouTube channel is very exciting.

UnboxingSve

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
It all depends on the type of your channel. For example, I enjoy doing unboxing and review of tech items, and other videos I make. However, I could not do it forever buying new items if I don`t have any revenue back to me. If you are not investing anything in your videos then you are free to do them as much as you like, but if you are investing heavily in your videos then you will NEED some money to continue doing what you LIKE. You can enjoy and do it for fun while you make some money, no problem with that.

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I see your point from the perspective of just "making videos to be rich or popular", but a lot of people have created successful businesses based around YouTube and using their following to create great revenue streams. There are legitimate business opportunities in YouTube and sometimes people are using their channel to enhance their real life business so it's not about trying to get popular but trying to get clients in real life. It's sort of like telling an artist not to sell their artwork and instead focus on just making great art, like I get it but you can't pretend like they don't need some money. If someone has the skills to take advantage of an opportunity on YouTube to generate income... why not? (As long as it isn't unethical or some sort of obnoxious or illegal scheme)

CrazFrank

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Ok peeps, lets be real. Get of you're high horses and lets talk for real.

Id dare say ...90% of youtube does it for the money, we all do it for the money but we hate admitting this because it gives the notion that it undervalues you're work, ethics and morals. I do it for the money, i enjoy doing it but i wont lie and pretend it does not get in the way or i dont think about it. I dont care about fame but my goal is simple " make enough money to feel pride on my work and support myself" aka money.

This does not mean i put more or less effort than someone else doing it to save "billow the beach ball balancing bear" in russia. Let people have there own motivation and or reason to do youtube, i know you mean good and this is just a conversation but threads like this are #1 bait and #2 induces a negative argument from the start.

doing it for the $$$ = Are you doing it for the money? well then mister you are wrong and i am right! bad on you for making it for money and not "passion".

ItsBeeRay

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
You can't really say what the right and wrong reasons for making YouTube videos are. Obviously making videos just to spread hate or to bully is totally wrong but I don't think there's any problem with someone doing YouTube to make money. Personally, that's not my main objective on YouTube right now but I'd be lying if if I said I wouldn't like to someday be making decent money on YouTube. That's the eventual goal. Same thing goes for the popularity thing. Let's face it, none of us are making these videos and spending all this time editing for them to be seen by 5 people. We all want a big audience. There's a reason 99% of us ask people to subscribe to our channel. We want to grow our audiences as much as we possibly can. A lot (if not most) of us put in so much time, effort and money into these channels in the hopes that someday we can earn a living from them. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Malousak

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian, Gamer
Why are so many people only making videos to become rich or popular on YouTube.
What happened to just making your videos because you love filming the stuff you do?
I see so many threads where people are asking each other how much money they make or if they are "making full time money".. I'm shook!

Like.. Just make your videos and don't worry about making a paycheck off it and you'll probably find yourself making higher quality / more relaxed content that people will like more..

What are your thoughts on people creating channels specifically with money in mind?
People don't know that they can earn money faster than YouTube. If they knew about Passive Income by Blogging, they wouldn't do youtube for the money xD Unless they do it for fame as well, but hey, figures of speech xD