Does YouTube notify you?

OldManTenno

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Curious to whether YouTube notifies you via email or through your channel for when you are approved for monetization, or does it just happen and you have to find out yourself?

HollyInTheSky

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hey OldManTenno,
I got an email when I was approved. It took a month or so for it to come through after I signed up for the partner program. However, that didn't stop me from checking my creator studio every other day!

Reactions: OldManTenno

OldManTenno

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey OldManTenno,
I got an email when I was approved. It took a month or so for it to come through after I signed up for the partner program. However, that didn't stop me from checking my creator studio every other day!
Thanks for the feedback. It's only been 2 weeks for me, and from what I've heard I was expecting a month or so as well.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Market Harborough, Leicestershire, England
Channel Type
Musician
@OldManTenno

If these are either online browser based MMORPGs or mobile games, please check your Terms of Use to make sure that creating videos intended for monetization is allowed.

A lot of Supercell's users have gotten in trouble for making Clash of Clans and other videos after Supercell's games.

Supercell issued DMCA Takedowns on the videos in question because their TOU specifically both denies the right of commercial use, plus reserves all Intellectual property rights of videos and other media created after their games to themselves.

OldManTenno

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
@OldManTenno

If these are either online browser based MMORPGs or mobile games, please check your Terms of Use to make sure that creating videos intended for monetization is allowed.

A lot of Supercell's users have gotten in trouble for making Clash of Clans and other videos after Supercell's games.

Supercell issued DMCA Takedowns on the videos in question because their TOU specifically both denies the right of commercial use, plus reserves all Intellectual property rights of videos and other media created after their games to themselves.
I believe I should be fine since the game I'm covering is a PC shooter called Warframe. There are quite a few channels that are partnered by the developer.

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I believe I should be fine since the game I'm covering is a PC shooter called Warframe. There are quite a few channels that are partnered by the developer.
Direct partnership with the developer? And are you one of those channels?

Here is the reason I am asking. Here is an excerpt from the EULA for Warframe, from section 2; titled: License Restrictions and Limitations.

"The limited, personal use license granted to you in Section 1 is subject to the following restrictions and limitations as well as all other terms and conditions of this Agreement (collectively, the “License Limitations”). You agree that you will not, under any circumstances:

g. exploit the Software, the Service, the Game experience or any portion thereof for any commercial purpose, including without limitation, (i) use at a cyber cafe, computer gaming center or any other location-based site without the express written consent of Digital Extremes; (ii) for gathering in-game currency, items or resources for sale outside the Software; or (iii) performing in-game services in exchange for payment outside the Software (e.g., power-leveling and similar activities);"

Creating monetized YouTube videos would be exploiting the Game experience for a commercial purpose. Further down in the EULA, there is the following clause:

"b. All rights and title in and to the Software, the Game, the Service, the Site, your Account and all content included therein (including, without limitation, Accounts, computer code, titles, objects, artifacts, characters, character names, locations, location names, stories, storylines, dialogue, catch phrases, artwork, graphics, structural or landscape designs, animations, sounds, musical compositions and recordings, audio-visual works, character likenesses, and methods of operation) are owned by Digital Extremes or its licensors."

So you see, just like Supercell, Digital Extremes is even claiming the Intellectual Property rights to your videos, gameplay and gaming account on its servers.

As the majority of your videos are created after Warframe, it is unlikely your channel will be accepted to the YPP and monetized by YouTube.

I strongly suggest you Google search the EULA of any other game you've created videos after the gameplay of, and read each carefully. The already monetized channels are likely to be ejected from the YPP as soon as they come under review for continued compliance with the current YPP and Adsense policy sets.

Last edited:

GameVestment

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
In my case I believe it took 45 days to be part of the YouTube Partner Program. I didn't receive an email sadly, you should get one, but once you go to your Creator Studio you can see everything green and it looks so awesome the first time XDD

good luck and hope you receive an answer soon, usually by now standards YouTube should be reviewing channels in 2 weeks - 1 month

OldManTenno

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Direct partnership with the developer? And are you one of those channels?
Yes they have a partnership agreement (there is a program for this). I am not a partner at the moment, though I am currently eligible to apply. DE has been pretty supportive for content creators, since it is basically free advertising for them. I imagine a lot of the language in the EULA is meant for protection purposes if someone went rogue.

Reactions: UKHypnotist

UKHypnotist

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Yes they have a partnership agreement (there is a program for this). I am not a partner at the moment, though I am currently eligible to apply. DE has been pretty supportive for content creators, since it is basically free advertising for them. I imagine a lot of the language in the EULA is meant for protection purposes if someone went rogue.
More likely, they consider anyone posting videos to YouTube and attempting to monetize them without being partnered with them to be such a rogue.

The problem here is kinda like "Which came first; the chicken or the egg?"

When YouTube changed the YPP application process back in January, one of the things they did was de-link the majority of MCN members from their networks in order to force them into the application queue to be reviewed.

No one can join an MCN now without first being a direct YouTube partner.

So what you have is "you cannot monetize our media without being in our network", while YouTube Admin is saying: "you cannot join that network as you aren't partnered with us!"

Catch-22...

Last edited:

OldManTenno

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
More likely, they consider anyone posting videos to YouTube and attempting to monetize them without being partnered with them to be such a rogue.

The problem here is kinda like "Which came first; the chicken or the egg?"

When YouTube changed the YPP application process back in January, one of the things they did was de-link the majority of MCN members from their networks in order to force them into the application queue to be reviewed.

No one can join an MCN now without first being a direct YouTube partner first.

So what you have is "you cannot monetize our media without being in our network", while YouTube Admin is saying: "you cannot join that network as you aren't partnered with us!"

Catch-22...
It's kind of fine since I don't really expect to make much (if any) money from Warframe videos. It's also something I enjoy so I don't want to spoil it.

Reactions: UKHypnotist