Does YouTube Even Approve Monetization Anymore?

TattleCrime

For one, I'm pretty sure my channel won't get monetized because of content which is fine but they won't even make a decision on this either and it's been a few months since I've been eligible to possibly be monetized. I have over 1000 subs and over 15 thousand watch hours in the past 12 months. I mean due to language I use in some of the videos (not all) I'm pretty sure they won't want to monetize me but not all my videos are like that and a decent amount of them would definitely fit the YouTube monetization program cause they are within the rules. However, they aren't seemingly even checking my channel after they informed me months ago they were checking it, and I keep seeing many MANY other people complain of the same thing. Do they not care if you are on the low end of subscribers or do they just tell people they are "checking" and never check? Or is this just a case of there's so many people becoming eligible it takes a year for them to actually review the channel? It seems like it shouldn't be taking them months and months to approve a channel either. Also, I've had monetized channels on YouTube before (i've since closed them) I'm not asking because I desperately want money from this (cause I wouldn't make that much) I'm just kind of annoyed with the uncertain status and the fact that if I'm not monetized then it blocks other options that they offer if you are monetized. How long do I actually have to wait for approval vs what they claim?

I have a theory; and it's only that, so don't take it as gospel.

The channels that take forever to be reviewed, are going to be rejected out of hand. So they are most likely being shunted to another queue, from which mass rejection emails are sent out. The mass rejection batches are sent out every few months or so. As for the part monetizable, part non-monetizable should be able to be monetized at channel level, it no longer seems to work that way since the new Content Quality Guidelines were adopted last year.

Now, it's either all of your channel will be found to be monetizable, or none of it will. As for how long you need to wait, the simple answer is until you receive a review result by email, however long that might take. Going from forum to forum complaining, isn't going to do anything to speed it up.

Last edited:
I was monetised within 6 days which made me nearly fall off my chair. All I heard was bad things about the wait for monetisation so I wasn't expecting it at all. I reached my watch time a few months ago and was just waiting to get the subscribers so I'm not sure if that made a difference. I hope they sort it out for you though as it would be awful waiting even knowing it doesn't make much, it's kinda that milestone I think everyone aims for initially.

My channel launched this year got monetized a few days after it hit the minimum thresholds. I started another one too that might make it too by the end of the year.

The two posts above this one, and several other instances I've observed, are why my original reply was made.

I actually haven't heard of any going through quickly before so I was really shocked at how quick the process was but now that you mention it, people that are making the posts about the wait time are those that are waiting, not those that have been approved.

Back