Does your region limit your Audience

Leishua

Reaction score
So I saw this recently video about youtube monetization.

If I understand it right, He says that there are limitation to reach to a foreign audience from a small country. Is this true? Is there a bias to search. Say if I make videos from Maldives someone from the states will have priority in ranking and search?

If so how does Holasoy and Pewds get so many views from Chile and Sweden?

CousinEd

There's always a choice
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
There are no limitations if you are from Maldives and you speak in English. Your main audience will be from English speaking countries and ads will also be served in English. I think that guy does not know what he is talking about.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Pewdiepie lives/works out of England not Sweden which may help but I think his channel server may be USA even?
In the UK we didnt get the option for Fan Funding (Only a handful of countries did). But Pewds has it..
Or maybe it depends on the origin of your partner program? He is/was Maker (Disney/USA)

Leishua

Reaction score
There are no limitations if you are from Maldives and you speak in English. Your main audience will be from English speaking countries and ads will also be served in English. I think that guy does not know what he is talking about.
Thats what I thought, he showed some statistics like how the people in his country speak english but not a single person except 1 has a million subs. Tbh though I do think they focus very little on a global audience (bad english, local only jokes and drame etc)

Pewdiepie lives/works out of England not Sweden which may help but I think his channel server may be USA even?
In the UK we didnt get the option for Fan Funding (Only a handful of countries did). But Pewds has it..
Or maybe it depends on the origin of your partner program? He is/was Maker (Disney/USA)
He made his channel in sweden though originally and was number 1 before moving to Brighton England.

CousinEd

There's always a choice
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thats what I thought, he showed some statistics like how the people in his country speak english but not a single person except 1 has a million subs. Tbh though I do think they focus very little on a global audience (bad english, local only jokes and drame etc)
I know a lot of great (in my opinion) YouTube channels who originate from native English speaking countries and only some of them have over 10k subscribers. It is just that some of them play old games or unpopular games or simply they have not been discovered yet. Many different factors come into the play when we are talking about YouTube.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I have also heard that the success of a video can be influenced by the time and location of publishing. Pewdie Pie is an interesting example, he originally moved from Sweden to Italy but internet speed in Italy is so bad that he could not upload the videos quicker than he was recording them! This was one reason that he moved to the UK.
It would be great to get some clarity on the issue of upload/publish location, if certain locations are more favourable than others then there may be ways we can benefit from that.

Kristeen

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
So I saw this recently video about youtube monetization.

If I understand it right, He says that there are limitation to reach to a foreign audience from a small country. Is this true? Is there a bias to search. Say if I make videos from Maldives someone from the states will have priority in ranking and search?

If so how does Holasoy and Pewds get so many views from Chile and Sweden?
Since YouTube algorithms take into account your location when providing you with results (i.e. they'll try to show you videos from people closer to you location-wise), being from a small country can limit your views to some extent. But it would be a misconception to think that YouTube prioritizes certain countries than others. YouTubers from somewhere like the United States are certainly more likely to rank higher because of the larger English language audience on the platform, which comes from the higher cultural impact of YouTube in the country. But someone from the Maldives could still rank pretty highly if they produce the right content and promote it properly.

Reactions: Yachts For Sale