Does your profile picture matter?

Hendrik Kapp

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys,

I hope you all are doing well?

I was wondering this for quite some time now and I can't seem to get to the answer. Does your profile picture really matter that much on YouTube and social media platforms? Is it better to have a picture of your actual self or can you add a logo or drawing as your profile picture?

Your response would be much appreciated.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
If people can't make out what it's supposed to be, it matters. If it's clear then it can be anything and I don't think it matters

S_Mielz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It matters to a certain extent. You definitely want to have something there. It’s a plus if it’s clean and clear. Whether it’s yourself or a logo shouldn’t matter too much though.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I dont think it will drive anymore traffic your way to have the best pic in the world.
Considering some of the channels I follow, they are all of different 'qualities'.
Just set one you like and roll with it.

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Personally I like it when people use a photo of themselfs, but that is because I follow a lot of vloggers. Their face is their brand. If your are a commentary gaming channel (or something in that direction) using a clean logo would be fine as well. I would keep it related to your channel at least.

UnboxingSve

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I think it matters. And you should put some effort to create something original. I see nowadays that these "drawing" picture of yourself are popular. A lot of people are using them so I think that is not an original idea anymore and you should try to think something better and more creative.

AmberAndGolden

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I do think your logo is important, because thats what people see when they go on your channel (that, and your banner ect) and also what people see when you make comments on other videos!

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
After thumbnails, I think it's the most important part of branding. The reason is that it's used in a lot of places, not just on your channel homepage. - It's also used in comments, alerts to people that you've replied to their comment and also external social media. (Example: if you link to your channel from twitter, your profile picture will be embedded in the tweet.)

Moved to branding. :)

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think it maters to a certain extent. I think your profile should be something your subscribers would know what is or what the logo represents, that way when your subscribers see your profile pic or banner they know right away who that person is!

Masters of Kung Food

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I think it matters very well. It's practically people's first impression of you (if they see you in the comments section or something)