Does transcribing your videos increase your visibility?

Fox Beat

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hello all. I've been going through the tedious task of transcribing my videos and I want to make sure its been worth it. I started doing it because sometimes my narration audio is a little low, especially on small speakers. Now Im hoping it will help me get more views as well but I wanted to ask if anyone knew how it helps, if at all. Thanks.
I never do this, but i prefer to transcribe my vid if i can, i'm sure it'll rank up my SEO quality...

Pierce's Mom

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
It's critically important to get a global audience and decrease risk from events in any particular geographic region.
The ad boycott has decreased CPMs across the Western world, Asian CPMs are still at previous levels. Having traffic from Asian countries mitigates the losses to some extent.
I recommend translating all the title/description fields into every language the auto-translate lets you (about 95 at the moment), and auto-translating all subtitles as well. You can also translate playlists. It's a lot of work, but every bit helps.
Taking up your advice for autotranslation. I found out how to do this free for the subtitles. But, I only noticed that for the title and description, you have to buy the translation. Is this what you're referring to? To purchase the translations of the title and description? If there's a way to autotranslate without having to purchase, could you share it please? Thanks sooo much!

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Taking up your advice for autotranslation. I found out how to do this free for the subtitles. But, I only noticed that for the title and description, you have to buy the translation. Is this what you're referring to? To purchase the translations of the title and description? If there's a way to autotranslate without having to purchase, could you share it please? Thanks sooo much!
I would love to know more about this too. Following this.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Nope, I buy nothing (except strong coffee). Put your title & description into translate.google.com, then select one of the 95 or so languages. In Yt go to your video and "Translations" tab, then "Translate into" and "Add new language". Search and select the language from your current page on translate.google.com. Copy and paste. That's it. Repeat 95 times :). If your title & description is keyword rich, Google does a very good of translating those tags into foreign language that are actually relevant. The grammar may be off, but we don't care about that, we're concerned with populating the metadata with foreign keywords. I can read Russian, a little French, and my wife Thai, so we've verified it works very good for those languages. I assume it' s the same for all languages.

Pierce's Mom

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Nope, I buy nothing (except strong coffee). Put your title & description into translate.google.com, then select one of the 95 or so languages. In Yt go to your video and "Translations" tab, then "Translate into" and "Add new language". Search and select the language from your current page on translate.google.com. Copy and paste. That's it. Repeat 95 times :). If your title & description is keyword rich, Google does a very good of translating those tags into foreign language that are actually relevant. The grammar may be off, but we don't care about that, we're concerned with populating the metadata with foreign keywords. I can read Russian, a little French, and my wife Thai, so we've verified it works very good for those languages. I assume it' s the same for all languages.
Your comments are so valuable to the community.
Thank you so much for sharing how you did it! It is labor intensive. But, if it worked for you, I've gotta try it myself. We've been chugging along on YT now for close to 2 years. (Made on average 1 video a week, now up to 2.). It's been discouraging at times because we do try to put out quality videos and even did many consultations with "YT gurus" but by far reading the posts here have been most insightful.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Your comments are so valuable to the community.
Thank you so much for sharing how you did it! It is labor intensive. But, if it worked for you, I've gotta try it myself. We've been chugging along on YT now for close to 2 years. (Made on average 1 video a week, now up to 2.). It's been discouraging at times because we do try to put out quality videos and even did many consultations with "YT gurus" but by far reading the posts here have been most insightful.
"Gurus" are ok, especially during the fist few months, as they teach a lot of the fundamentals. I've watched through most of their videos. At some point you have to separate from them, as theirs is the advice the masses follow. You don't want to get stuck with the masses. Once you grasp the fundamentals, there are layers on top of it where 'that's how things really work'. The few top channels out there, and I mean TF, RTR, Emily, a few others, they operate in this other tier. Way transcending the advice of gurus.

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Damn... gonna have to hit the Vietnamese market up this week. Here I was thinking translations were a thing of the past for me :'( On the up side I won't have to decrease my caffeine intake ;)

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I'm going to give some of this a shot for my videos, I probably need to do both title/description translations and translated CC. I have 24% lifetime watchtime from Germany(over 600k minutes) and I probably should have translated stuff into German like 6 months ago lol. Better late than never I guess. My videos are rather long as well as unscripted mostly so I wasn't sure what my options were.

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
THANK YOU! I've learned more from your posts than from all the "experts" on YouTube put together. Sincerely, your advice is extremely valuable.

Reactions: KiddieToysReview

Pierce's Mom

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
So, on the most recent video I uploaded, I translated it using your strategy recommendation into 30+ languages after checking out my analytics and hitting all the countries that were watching our videos. The title, description, and transcription has been translated. Here's hoping that this helps in the discovery. I'll definitely post a message if I see growth from these other countries. ;-). Thanks so much again for these instructions.

Reactions: KiddieToysReview