Does time of upload make a difference?

ItsMeJackP

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
One youtuber I'm aware of (who I don't particularly like or follow, but their posts show up on my timeline sometimes) said that although they moved country, they still schedule their uploads according to USA timezones, so "everyone won't be in bed when it's up".

Is that her doing something pointless, or does the time when a video is up make a difference? She doesn't do the "premier" thing, just normal uploads.

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Yes, this is important. The first 24 hours of your video is very important, as this is the time it will appear in the inbox of your viewers. If you're audience is mostly from the USA, but you upload on a time that they are asleep, this will make you miss out on a lot of views. For example, most of my audience is from the UK, but I am moving to Australia in three weeks. This means I will adjust my personal schedule to make sure my YT upload schedule still matches their time. Knowing the demographics of your audience is important.
For example, if most of your viewers are under 18, uploading during school times wouldn't be smart. Uploading around 4 o'clock, when most kids are home from school and it's not dinner time yet, would be a good choice.
Next to this, YT likes consistency. So having a set upload schedule plays into the hands of the algorithm. Plus people will know when to expect a video (for example, it is Sunday today and I know one of my fav Youtubers will be uploading today).

Reactions: ItsMeJackP

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
"peak time" is different for every channel. Use realtime analytics to identify the times of day when most of your viewers are watching and upload at the time, your audience usually starts to increase (see red arrow below)

Example:

Whatever the local time is on the red arrow below is the time you should upload. That will give you the largest surface area of "blue" over the next 1-2 days.

allthingstodd

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Reporter, Vlogger, Comedian, Commentator
I need to do better about learning WHEN to post videos. Sometimes my schedule is so busy I schedule them, but I like to engage when I first post- so lately I've just been posting when I'm done editing. For example my latest vid was posted 1AM EST time... smh

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I remember seeing a chart somewhere that listed the best times and days to post your videos. I think this was something like this:

Posting on weekday afternoons gives YouTube ample time to index videos and deliver them to subscriber feeds. Frederator advises post times between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, and between 12 p.m. and 3 p.m. on Thursday and Friday.

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

Frontier Forge

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I've heard that posting on a Thursday or Friday afternoon is a good idea as it allows your video to get ranked by the algorithm and put into it's proper place by the time all the weekend traffic hits. It's not something I've tested yet, but it does make some sense

PictureFIT

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Relative to your overall audience activity. Look at your analytics and don't rely on outside reference.