Does this mean people are simply not interested in my content??

Tropical365

I've Got It
Reaction score
I have one "viral" video (ok I know it's technically not a viral video) but it's the one biggest video I have which is getting thousands of views a day totaling over 60,000 views the past 3 months (it's a silly video of my pet bird singing). Yet it's safe to say over 95% of people who watch that video are NOT subscribing to my channel. I mostly do "what I eat in a day" videos, minimalism, fitness/health as that is my passion (my bird is always in all of my videos because he lives on my shoulder). I see others with same content as mine yet when one of their videos went "viral" they gained thousands upon thousands of subscribers because of that one "viral" video... yet in my case it's not doing me ANY good.

I just don't get it :( I put TONS of work into my videos... thus my videos are not lower quality than the other youtubers. I must really suck at youtbe I have no idea.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is... in general if someone has one video getting thousands of views per day... is the fact that such an overwhleming number of those people NOT subscribing mean there is a problem??

Skyler Henricks

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
From what I understand the YouTube algorithm only cares about consistency and audience retention, so if every one of those 60,000 views watched the whole video YouTube should be suggesting your content to more people. If you think about it thought not everyone subscribers to viral videos, they may be good for a little bit of money but as far as channel growth goes you might be able to grow a little but not a long term growth from one viral video.

OrbitGuy

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If it's different from your other content somewhat or if what they see when they go to your channel doesn't relate to the video that much it could be impacting it. Like if you watch a popular fitness video and then look at the channel it's usually a fitness channel and then your would subscribe to it for more similar content. If people search for pet bird singing, how many of those people searching for that would also be looking for the content on your channel? If they're mostly looking for videos about how to take care of birds or funny animal videos it might not translate as well if they see fitness videos when they go to your channel. It's not that you're doing anything wrong by having a video like that do well, but this is why I think channels with a very specific focus tend to get a better view to subscriber ratio. I don't think it's that your other content sucks but that it probably wasn't what those people were searching for so they didn't subscribe.

If I see a runescape video and I go to the channel and it's more content exactly like that video I liked I'm far more likely to subscribe than if they mostly upload random vlogs or some different game that I don't want to watch regardless of how good that other content is.

I'm not saying to redo your channel around silly bird videos, but just understand how your content fits into your channel and how it pulls in people who want to see the content you normally make.

6StringMadMan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Without seeing your channel I'd have to assume that the people who are viewing your pet bird singing aren't interested in the topic of "what I eat in a day", they're interested in seeing your pet bird sing. Maybe you should put up more videos of your bird singing or doing other things and see if people watch those videos as well. What is the watch time of the bird singing video? Are people actually interested in it, or does the video have an enticing thumbnail?

TGP-ROB

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Without seeing your channel I'd have to assume that the people who are viewing your pet bird singing aren't interested in the topic of "what I eat in a day", they're interested in seeing your pet bird sing. Maybe you should put up more videos of your bird singing or doing other things and see if people watch those videos as well. What is the watch time of the bird singing video? Are people actually interested in it, or does the video have an enticing thumbnail?
Yeah its probably due to the thumbnail used
Ive also got a so called viral video with around 30k views and from that vid i think i got around 100 subs and steadily declined
And I had a clickbait title which kinda promised a fix for a problem
It was my fault because It was ment to be worded as a question on how to fix ahaha

Tropical365

I've Got It
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I do have a niche channel... my focus is mostly on health/fitness/minimalism as that is my passion (sometimes, not often I do post about other things in addition to that)... I also do ("what I eat in a day" videos focusing on healthy foods since the foods you eat impact health tremendously). The "viral" video I have is on my pet bird... but my pet bird is in ALL of my videos. My bird is literally on me 24/7 (he lives on my shoulder) so he's being incorporated into all of my videos. Anytime I'm on video so is my bird :)

I have lots of videos of my bird... but none of my other bird videos got nearly the number of views as my "viral" one.

... so I guess the people who came to see a silly bird just aren't interested in the type of content I have on my channel. All I know is another youtuber doing the same type of content as me had a hair video that went viral and she picked up thousands and thousands of new subs from that viral video... even though her channel is focused on health/fitness/minimalism/what I eat in a day videos... yet my "viral" video is not producing anywhere near the impact it has for other channels doing exact same content... this is what makes me feel as though I'm doing something wrong :(

I only have 3 videos up showing my new content.. the rest of my videos are older videos of my pet bird.. so maybe I just need to get better with more content. I post twice a week.[DOUBLEPOST=1508181455,1508181196][/DOUBLEPOST]My "viral" bird video is 2 min 27 sec seconds long and in analytics it says average watch time is 52 seconds... so people are not even seeing my annotation towars the end of the video which shows my other video. It says 49% traffic source is from "browse features" and 27% from "suggested videos" and %15 fro "external" and 7.9% from "other" (video dooesn't have enticing thumbnail... (it just has pic of my bird, nothing special). It has over 3,000 likes and about 20 comments. OMG so sorry for my looooong reply!

Last edited:

Skyler Henricks

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
You should add your channel link to this channel so we can see your channel!! Hopefully your channel grows more from all the traffic your getting into your channel!!

MutantCreeper36

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Its not that your videos are bad, they are probably very good. They are probably doing one of two things though. First which is probably the case; they see the video for a few seconds and leave because (no offense) its a bird singing and they saw a more interesting video on the side of the page. The second thing they could be doing (which I do a LOT) is watching the video, liking the content, but not wanting to subscribe as the subscriptions page would be filled even more. I watch well over 15 different channels so you can understand what subscribing would do to my subscription box as well as my notifications.

Tropical365

I've Got It
Reaction score
Its not that your videos are bad, they are probably very good. They are probably doing one of two things though. First which is probably the case; they see the video for a few seconds and leave because (no offense) its a bird singing and they saw a more interesting video on the side of the page. The second thing they could be doing (which I do a LOT) is watching the video, liking the content, but not wanting to subscribe as the subscriptions page would be filled even more. I watch well over 15 different channels so you can understand what subscribing would do to my subscription box as well as my notifications.
You make a good point... I wish I had made the bird video shorter than 2 min 17 seconds because it's way too long. I made the video about 7 months just to share it on a bird forum I used to be a member of. I NEVER expected it to get 60,000+ views. That's crazy!

I'd rather not add my channel name/details to my profile on this forum but you can find my channel and the video I'm referring to by searching for: Cockatiel singing as I swing him back and forth haha

My videos are definitely not really good... but I'm hoping to improve and if my videos suck you can tell me. I won't get offended :) I did put hours and hours into my what I eat in a day videos... but the video quality is "off". The what I eat in a day videos are a lot of work!! I have no idea what I'm doing LOL. I really need to invest in a doughnut lamp or some type of better lighting, I don't know if I'm just being very picky... but my video quality is not nearly as good as I thought it would be. I'm new to all of this but I did buy a new camera last month. I have the Sony WX500 and when I see people using this camera on youtube the quality was much nicer than my video... I think I'm either really bad at using this camera, don't have proper lighting or just suck at this LOL

PS: ALL of my bird videos were shot on my crappy cell phone... only the most recent 4 videos on my channel were shot with my new camera.

I cannot even manage to take a decent photo with this camera... photo quality is terrible... it must be the fact that I don't have proper lighting?? I always use the AUTO setting because let's face it... I have no skill to use the manual :)

Last edited:

Skyler Henricks

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Not sure why you don't want post your YouTube channel on here? The forum is meant to help you grow and spread your influence and channel!! I shoot all my videos on my iPhone 7+ so no worries there!! I told myself when I started that I will get a new camera, drone, lighting, editing software etc.. with money from the channel so looks like I'm pretty far away from improving too too much!! Good Luck with your channel!![DOUBLEPOST=1508247058,1508246743][/DOUBLEPOST]I also don't think I can give too much of an opinion I have way less subscribers and views than you do!! I did go check out your channel though!! I think branding will help you with your subscribers and gaining a following work on making a more custom banner channel art background thing and make your profile pic thing more unique and something that people will see and relate that to you!! Mine isn't a good example of that but I don't like my selfie face lol...Good luck with this and I would also organize your page layout to be more non subscriber friendly!!