Does Living In A Popular City Mean More Views???

GooberVlogs

Happy New Year
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Wazzzup Yttalkers =)

I was watching a video about how pewdiepie conquered youtube and at the moment he has about 40 million subscribers and the video shows that pewdiepie moved a lot and so I was wondering do you guys think living in a popular city like LA or new york city has a advantage on the views you get? I know this might sound stupid but for example...Let's say you upload ONLY in popular cities do you think your videos will have a better chance of getting views and subscriber just because of where your location is..

Do you guys think its tru by living in a popular city youtube will automatically rank your channel and views.

meaganrenee

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Not sure about that, grav3yardgirl is from Houston - I don't think people think of that has a popular city compared to LA or NYC, and I'm from Houston, and I don't feel there is any way I get more publicity than someone who isn't. But that's just my experience haha

GrgakGames

Phoenix Games Enthusiast (Please end my life)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I mean, I live in one of the biggest cities in the United States now and I would assume it has nothing to do with that.

I would more think you get more popular thanks to your tags, dedicated fan base, and promoting but I dunno.

Moses Cheeks

Youtuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
No you have to move your country in order to affect views

Kate's Adventures

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't think so, although being in a popular location could lead to more opportunities (ie if potential collaborators live nearby or the area is considered a hub for events) and making a video about those places might be more popular (I'm basing this on the views I got from a video I made in Edinburgh, from memory I think it was showing up as a suggested video and in the search engine). I don't think location really matters as a singular factor.

Reactions: GooberVlogs

Cromartie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I haven't observed any difference with my close proximity to Orlando. I mean I suppose if I were a theme park channel it'd be a great source of resources/places to go for content but that's about all.

chottom

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Of course it helps especially if the city has YouTube spece in it but still the content is more important.

Kaleido

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have a video that gets (an admittedly small amount of) views just because the name of the city is in the title, so it can matter for searchability if people are interested in your city for some reason.

For the most part, I can't imagine it mattering too much, though.

Political Junkie News

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I think reaching an international audience was his real advantage. I had Spanish students when I worked in Spain who knew Pew.
Big cities are a nice backdrop for vloggers (like Casey Neistat in NYC), but I doubt it has a true effect on views.
The only exception might be with tentpoling events. Bad example, but I assume anything tagged or filmed in Paris will get traffic this week.

Reactions: GooberVlogs