Does Audience Retention matter?

Cookie6

So, I've made 4 videos so far on my new channel and currently my Audience retention is 41%. I'm not sure if this is good or not?

What is everyone else's for comparison? and does it even matter towards your videos being pushed a little more for example?

Love to know what everyone thinks!

Audience retention is very important.

What is everyone else's for comparison?

The best way to compare is to look at the "relative audience retention" tab.

Relative audience retention
Use this report to see how your video compares to similar YouTube videos. Relative audience retention shows a video's ability to keep viewers compared to all YouTube videos of similar length.

When the graph is higher, it indicates how many more viewers kept watching your video for that timeframe compared to the same timeframe in other YouTube videos.

Source: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1715160?hl=en

Audience retention is very important.

The best way to compare is to look at the "relative audience retention" tab.

Relative audience retention
Use this report to see how your video compares to similar YouTube videos. Relative audience retention shows a video's ability to keep viewers compared to all YouTube videos of similar length.

When the graph is higher, it indicates how many more viewers kept watching your video for that timeframe compared to the same timeframe in other YouTube videos.

Source:

Thanks man! So it turns out i'm mostly average or below haha. I assume then that's probably down to the video being uninteresting to the watcher so they've clicked off and gone elsewhere. It seems a bit vague though really to be honest, when it's 'relative', what is it actually relative to?

Thanks man! So it turns out i'm mostly average or below haha. I assume then that's probably down to the video being uninteresting to the watcher so they've clicked off and gone elsewhere. It seems a bit vague though really to be honest, when it's 'relative', what is it actually relative to?

Similar videos with a similar total duration.

Yes it does matter for sure. 41% is pretty dang good from what I have herd. I think I have seen multiple places that you want to aime for at least 30%. If you think about it the longer a person watches the video the more youtube can make off of that video, so they will help boost that video up and if a channel consistently has good retention then that channel will get boosted more and more

Yes it does matter for sure. 41% is pretty dang good from what I have herd. I think I have seen multiple places that you want to aime for at least 30%. If you think about it the longer a person watches the video the more youtube can make off of that video, so they will help boost that video up and if a channel consistently has good retention then that channel will get boosted more and more

According to the relative retention, it says average/below so i'm unsure really haha. It makes sense what you're saying though, I just didn't know what was like a ballpark figure but if you're saying 30% then happy days i'll take it :)

So I never know what to do with my analytics of my videos. I'm so new that the numbers probably aren't very good to use. I feel like the higher the retention, the better. What it means to me is that they stay on the video longer, which probably means better content? I guess if someone only viewed a video for a short amount of time it might imply that it is a clickbait video and not actually worth staying on.

Back