Does appearance matter?

Andreea

Reaction score
So I know that appearance doesn't really matter all the time, we have a bounce of gifted youtubers to prove that. It's just a topic I'm curious about what others think. In my opinion, for example in the beauty field which requires to show your face a lot, I think people actually care a little bit if you look "pretty" or not. I might be thinking wrong. What do you guys think:does appearance affect your views/subscribers in any way?

Dalindcy

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Depending on your niche, yes I think it does. Most girls (not all though!) that get big in the beauty niche are very conventionally attractive, and naturally make-up looks ''better'' (if you have more lid space and full lips for example) and more ''effortless'' on them. So I think it does give you an advantage in some niches, but it's not necessarily a dealbreaker.

Vivian King

I've Got It
Reaction score
We definitely have some successful YouTubers that are not particularly attractive, but are still able to make it. Same goes for Hollywood. So, I don't think it matters to much, as long as you are good at what you do.

Blunt Brittany

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Beauty is really hard to define because everyone views people's outer appearances differently. Someone could think a certain person is "beautiful" while another people doesn't think so. But depending on your niche I would say it matters a bit. I think typically more attractive people WITH good personalities do better on YouTube. At the same time, there are some really attractive YouTubers who make terrible content so I can't stand watching them. It all depends on content they are producing also. :)

AmberAndGolden

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I feel like it does, but mostly in the beauty/fashion aspects of things, and thats if you don't have like a comedy aspect to your videos, too.. if that makes sense...
I don't think it makes too much difference, though, if you make quality content you'll get subscribers no matter what imo

Reactions: Andreea

LiquidGaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The harsh truth is that it does matter. Not to everyone but a lot of people do take looks into account. If you're making "beauty videos" then good looks are going to be an advantage, but that advantage will only get you so far. What you Say and Do is what really matters.

At the end of the day, people have always been attracted to emotions rather than looks. For example...

1. M.K Gandhi

Not known for his great features, nor his charisma but for his ideas and beliefs. Guess what? His face is now on every single Rupee notes of India!

2. Leonardo Da Vinci

Apparently, His looks weren't as sharp as his Mona Lisa. But he gave the whole world a new perspective. And boy, don't people really respect him!

3. Albert Einstein

Smart? Sure. Swag? YES. Looks? um. But a Nobel Laureate and probably the biggest contributor to modern science.

4. Mick Jagger

He is not our conventionally attractive guy but he sure has a fan following. He is well known for his "moves" and for being a lead vocalist and a co-founder of The rolling stones.

5. Peter Dinklage

This Guy!! Need I say more? The God of Tits and Wine has a HUGE fan following. He is well known for his part of Tyrion Lannister in Game of thrones.

So yes looks do matter.
They might have an advantage.
But only until you ACT or SPEAK.
Actions always replace looks.

MasterDF

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
So I know that appearance doesn't really matter all the time, we have a bounce of gifted youtubers to prove that. It's just a topic I'm curious about what others think. In my opinion, for example in the beauty field which requires to show your face a lot, I think people actually care a little bit if you look "pretty" or not. I might be thinking wrong. What do you guys think:does appearance affect your views/subscribers in any way?
uhmm to some degree i think it does? it might be your intial reaction to someone and their looks could be a factor whether you click on their content or not. But i dont think its neccessary at all. As long as you put out good/original content, consistently i think everyone can make it. A lot of my videos I look less than attractive but i hope thats not what everyopne is looking for. :p