Does anyone understand the TY Kids App?

ToyBrats

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Does anyone know why videos don't always show up on the YT Kids App right away? We definitely do not stray from kids content on any videos and are keyworded appropriately. We've had them show up in existing playlists immediately so the video is not 'banned' per se, but then it would not show up as an individual video right away. Does placing a video inside a playlist somehow negate it from showing up individually in the YT Kids App immediately? Is this normal YT Kids behavior and the playlist is somehow a 'back door' into the app? It seems like guess work to us right now.

Reactions: Pierce's Mom

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
How to get into the Kids App is a little mysterious. There does seem to be some manual intervention from Yt on a channel level. I'm not aware of any negative effects from having videos in playlists. If you search for your channel and videos in the App, do they all come up?

ToyBrats

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
How to get into the Kids App is a little mysterious. There does seem to be some manual intervention from Yt on a channel level. I'm not aware of any negative effects from having videos in playlists. If you search for your channel and videos in the App, do they all come up?
It is mysterious to us. Not all our videos show up in the app at the top level, but may show up within playlists. If I had to guess I'd say it's pulling the most "popular" somehow combined with age? Our post from yesterday still does not show up in the app at the top level but is still in playlists. We are still very new and perhaps yt has not "trusted" us yet to just let our vids in without manual intervention and the playlists truly are a back door? Your popularity may make this a non-issue but am curious to see if it happens even at your level. Ironically your channel is on my related list and your channel shows up on my channel top page on yt kids!

ToyBrats

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Woohoo!!! That's what i like to hear!
But seriously, age probably has something to do with it.
You could put us on yours too!!

But seriously... the yt kids app is a total black box. We did not even show up there for 5 days or so after starting, then mysteriously did. Kind of stinks it would choose to put a related channel on out top level before filling out with our vids. But does fit my Algo understanding of pushing known popular channels/vids before a new unproven channel.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You could put us on yours too!!

But seriously... the yt kids app is a total black box. We did not even show up there for 5 days or so after starting, then mysteriously did. Kind of stinks it would choose to put a related channel on out top level before filling out with our vids. But does fit my Algo understanding of pushing known popular channels/vids before a new unproven channel.
All of Yt is a black box. They tell us watch time is king, yet the algo has several hundred parameters it uses to determine who wins and who loses.

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
one random video of mine is on there, with only a few yt kids views on it, but I still have no idea why its there.
all my content is suitable for kids, the video im talking about is "Dodrio the flying champion" its a pokémon parody.

but I have no access to the kids app so i have no idea if any of my other stuff is there,
just posting my 2 bits to help you in your kids app mystery research lol

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was under the impression that you had to be vetted and approved by YT for your videos to be included?
We use the app for our boys and its the reason i let them scour the videos unsupervised.

Lightsen

Animation Yey!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I was under the impression that you had to be vetted and approved by YT for your videos to be included?
We use the app for our boys and its the reason i let them scour the videos unsupervised.
I was told by a youtube rep that there actually is an algorithm for them, and then i believe they are approved after that, and she knew nothing about it, or how to get in, :p

ToyBrats

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
one random video of mine is on there, with only a few yt kids views on it, but I still have no idea why its there.
all my content is suitable for kids, the video im talking about is "Dodrio the flying champion" its a pokémon parody.

but I have no access to the kids app so i have no idea if any of my other stuff is there,
just posting my 2 bits to help you in your kids app mystery research lol
Yeah, wow, maybe we get a show idea out of this thread....

'YouTube Creator Kids App Mystery Success Challenge IRL' :confused:

Last edited: