Does anyone record with their phone???

ALEA freelicencemusic

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Even though my channel does not involve shooting video, I still wonder if any of you use your phones to film footage. I know that the gold standard is far from that, but I guess that not everyone can afford a proper camera from day one.

Do you use your phone for all your video or some of it?
If you use a cam, when did you get it? ( I mean in terms of channel size and time as a youtuber)

I want to hear your take on this topic :D

BrettMikaluk

Uniquely Awesome Since 1997
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I shot most of my last vlog (the video below) on my phone, I think you'd have a hard time distinguishing between the shots that were with my camera and my phone, even from an audio perspective I was very impressed with the quality

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Hey ALEA, yeh I use my iPhone to record with. Video quality is really good on apple stuff. One thing you must have (especially if using your phone) is good lighting for indoors filming. Anything less than a couple of soft boxes probably won't do. The microphone quality is not good enough though so I attach a better mic.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For years I used an Iphone for my smaller channels. I had no comments or complaints about quality.
I recently switched to a Samsung and the quality is not as good.
I did 'upgade' to a GoPro but the files were huge and editing took too long.

turtile

Reaction score
How do you use your rear camera and see the frame?

AceOfBats

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Even though my channel does not involve shooting video, I still wonder if any of you use your phones to film footage. I know that the gold standard is far from that, but I guess that not everyone can afford a proper camera from day one.

Do you use your phone for all your video or some of it?
If you use a cam, when did you get it? ( I mean in terms of channel size and time as a youtuber)

I want to hear your take on this topic :D
I've tried it. And I'll say it's handy. My most recent one was on my Samsung Note 8, and I had a universal Smart Phone mount for it. While I strongly prefer a Camera Camera (Like a Camcorder or a DSLR) I will say it comes in handy for Travel and Vlogs. I've been thinking about a two camera set up for the near future.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yes, I have recorded with my iPhone plenty of times! One of my favorite things about it is that you can shoot super smooth slow motion at 120fps that is hard to do without an expensive camera.