Does anyone else say "erm" and "like" too much that it looks jumpy once edited?

Eve Hemingway

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey can you guys check out some of my videos and let me know if they are too jumpy. I put a lot of jump cuts in because I say like and errrrm so much!

I think the videos that are of concern for me are:

THIS IS IMPORTANT an insight to antenatal depression

and

MY 13 REASONS WHY | BULLYING, DEPRESSION + SUICIDE

These were just quite hard videos to film because of what I was talking about. But I feel that they are important things to talk about so I don't want to take away any quality from the actual topic.

Thank you so much in advance for your comments although I will be sure to reply to you for the advice/feedback xoxo

Reactions: All Things Mannish

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
IMO Jump cuts are good for funnies/commedies/skits etc.
Although erms/urghs are not desirable (And simply a silent pause is preferred) I think its better to keep them in with the serious subjects you talk about.

Reactions: Eve Hemingway

Eve Hemingway

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
IMO Jump cuts are good for funnies/commedies/skits etc.
Although erms/urghs are not desirable (And simply a silent pause is preferred) I think its better to keep them in with the serious subjects you talk about.
Thank you! That's good advice. I know what you mean about the jump cuts are made for comedies etc. I will review the way I edit for the next one. Thanks again xo

All Things Mannish

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Hi, I think you always need to be yourself in the videos, and if that means keeping in those self-annoying erms etc, then so be it. Having said that, it does seem to me that a jump cut is 'the norm' on YouTube videos, so I wouldn't bother too much about it. I also tend to touch on the erms etc, and at times I have lowered that part of the volume to zero, but only if I see that it does not affect the video in any way. If it does then I leave it in.

Can I just say that you do touch on some very important issues, which involve almost all adults today. Keeping your videos unedited, another words keeping those erms in, I think adds a personal perspective to your subject.

Eve Hemingway

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi, I think you always need to be yourself in the videos, and if that means keeping in those self-annoying erms etc, then so be it. Having said that, it does seem to me that a jump cut is 'the norm' on YouTube videos, so I wouldn't bother too much about it. I also tend to touch on the erms etc, and at times I have lowered that part of the volume to zero, but only if I see that it does not affect the video in any way. If it does then I leave it in.

Can I just say that you do touch on some very important issues, which involve almost all adults today. Keeping your videos unedited, another words keeping those erms in, I think adds a personal perspective to your subject.

Thank you so much! Lowering the volume is a great tip. I will actually try that to see if it looks ok.

Aww thanks again, I will try uploading an unedited or only slightly edited video and see if that makes a difference in how it comes across. Thanks again x