Does anyone edit mainly using youtube editor?

abacoIan

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi all,

I use a chromebook and trying to find a sufficient way to edit and create videos. Is youtube editor a reasonable choice?

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Nope. I've tried and find its far too basic to do anything at all really. It's okay for maybe uploading your home videos /holiday snaps etc. You can't do anything complex at all. I found it slow and difficult to use. Its great its there for people that have no other choice but It's not at all anything like proper editing software.
I've used it to edit videos that I have already uploaded. That way you can edit a video without having to delete the video and re-upload it. But you can't add any new visuals.. you can really only cut parts you want removed.

Reaction score
I have tried to use the YouTube editor but getting the videos to post afterwards was difficult for me.

I do most everything offline currently (Starting December 2018) on a MacBook Pro using Final Cut Pro X and previously with my PC using Adobe Premiere Pro. You will also find if you are using an iPhone the iMovie application does a fantastic job for new creators and you can usually record, edit, and post just from your iPhone. I think android has an equivalent, but don't know what it is. Jonathan Morrison had a great set of videos for editing a complete video on iPad Pro using LumaFusion (I almost went the iPad Pro route instead) and I'm almost certain that the iPad non Pro would edit better than a chromebook at about a chromebook price. This is definitely a way to step up your production value at a reasonable price. I went with purchasing a MacBook because Adobe Premiere is subscription based and after a year of paying for it I decided Final Cut would have better performance than my previous desktop computer, fix the desync issue I had with iPhone footage in Adobe Premiere and I would just have a onetime purchase instead of a subscription. Others also do use Vegas Pro, but I can't comment on that since I never did try it to see how it would perform on my desktop.

FYI. If you are looking at a MacBook check the Apple Refurbished because they are essentially new macbooks with full warranties at a decent discount over new. Just note a Mid 2015 model with a quad core is better than any of the current gen dual core models especially the under-powered MacBook Air.

MindfulInquirer

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
dear. I certainly hope not. That thing is, well, limited. It's quite unfortunate too. You REALLY have to check your video, like every single detail and timing, before you upload. It's happened to me that during review in my editing software everything looked good enough, and once uploaded, I noticed a glitch or two, that must've occurred during exporting of the video, and after all that hard work the last thing you want to see is a flawed final product that's there to stay.

Steverd

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I can't imagine EVERY using YouTube video editor.
Are you on PC or MAC? So much a video editor can do like Premiere Pro than Youtube edit
can not do. Or even edits like VideoStudio or Premiere Elements is a better choice than the YouTube editor.
Good luck

abacoIan

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's kinda what I thought guys but just thought I'd ask. I use a chromebook with google play store. I have two old pcs but have found that they are not fit for the video editing that I want to do.

I've found power director that can work on pc or android (chromebook through google play) but to get the watermark off I'd need to purchase it. Which would be okay as long as it worked.

Today I decided that if I want to post half way decent videos to youtube that I either need a new pc (more and easier video editing options) or I need to purchase a license for power director.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Ian

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, but Adobe Rush is a good free alternative and a gateway to using Adobe Premiere on PC. You can open the same files between them, so cut on Rush (PC, Tablet, or Smart Phone) and finalize on Premiere.

YouTube4x4

I've Got It
Reaction score
I just got a Chromebook as a sidekick mobile device, I have another PC for video editing, but check out the WeVideo app. I have NO experience with it but it might be a decent option for Chrome OS. Probably a lot better than the free YT editor.

UserU

Suspended
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you're cutting out black segments or lulls, then its okay but never rely on it.

Your personal video editor is the best editor.