Does an Intro BOOST retention or take away from retention?

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That's true on tv, but on youtube kids have the power to click away or even off.
Kids have the same ability to change the channel on the TV as well. The television remote is one of the first pieces of technology a child learns to use. There's about 10 kids channels on a typical cable subscription. They still enjoy their fave show intros.

IF it's good, they will stay.

Have you EVER seen a child turn off Sponge Bob because the theme song was too long? Never.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Kids have the same ability to change the channel on the TV as well. The television remote is one of the first pieces of technology a child learns to use. There's about 10 kids channels on a typical cable subscription. They still enjoy their fave show intros.

Have you EVER seen a child turn off Sponge Bob because the theme song was too long? Never.
LOL spongebob...

dina

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys, in your opinions does a well made intro (maybe like 3-5 seconds) encourage the viewer to watch longer or cause them to click away?

I've seen people claim that one or the other is better. Or if it's the case of what content you create specifically, what kinds of content warrant an intro?

Personally I feel like types of content that typically have intros are:
1. Gamers
2. Daily Vloggers
3. People who make montages/compilations of specific content
4. How-to videos
hi, in my opinion i think it does encourage people to watch, the only discouraging part is that people tend to make a very long intro which most times people just get tired of waiting, which makes them click away.

Reactions: yongychong

chubbybots

I've Got It
Reaction score

What never!!! My kids and i will always sing to that song haha...

Introwise i feel if its snippets to let the viewer know what they can expect from the vid it will help. For me i don't have a fixed intro, the intro is always changing depending on my content...been trying some Zach King editing haha..

Katt Strike

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Personally, I think if it's high quality and doesn't last too long, an intro can work great.

If it's something that you want to try, it may be worth uploading a couple of videos with an intro and checking the analytics afterwards? That way you can see if people are dropping off or whatnot.

I think iDubbbz said something like; "you only have 15 seconds to get the audience interested", which is something I now try to bear in mind :)