Does an Intro BOOST retention or take away from retention?

yongychong

Reaction score
Hey guys, in your opinions does a well made intro (maybe like 3-5 seconds) encourage the viewer to watch longer or cause them to click away?

I've seen people claim that one or the other is better. Or if it's the case of what content you create specifically, what kinds of content warrant an intro?

Personally I feel like types of content that typically have intros are:
1. Gamers
2. Daily Vloggers
3. People who make montages/compilations of specific content
4. How-to videos

KingUsher

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would say it drives away viewers if not done correctly or if your channel is not big enough with subscribers who are used to the intro.I had noticed when i started youtube that many small youtube gamers think that intros are needed but infact those intros end up destroying their channels.I would personally advice to avoid intros and just find a better way to hook the viewer in your video as soon as it starts.Also would like to add that big successful creators suggest you get to the point of the video as soon as the video starts to effectively capture the viewers attention.So ya intros are kinda destroying many small youtubers while they`re busy thinking that intros are making their videos great.

Reactions: chubbybots

yongychong

Reaction score
Yeah that seems pretty valid. I was thinking in the place of a typical "intro", it would be better to give a quick summary or a quick entertaining snippet of the video before cutting into the rest

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would say it drives away viewers if not done correctly or if your channel is not big enough with subscribers who are used to the intro.I had noticed when i started youtube that many small youtube gamers think that intros are needed but infact those intros end up destroying their channels.I would personally advice to avoid intros and just find a better way to hook the viewer in your video as soon as it starts.Also would like to add that big successful creators suggest you get to the point of the video as soon as the video starts to effectively capture the viewers attention.So ya intros are kinda destroying many small youtubers while they`re busy thinking that intros are making their videos great.
I think that's all relative to length. A few-second intro showing the logo is benign. But a ten-second logo intro with the dreaded EDM music intro can be a channel killer. It's all about context and can't be covered in a blanket statement.

Reactions: yongychong

Gamayun

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have 3 sec intro with just animated rainbow and star. I applied this effects on top of my video so viewer never really watch only intro video.(drawing and painting channel).I use to have 8 sec intro with logo and other staff and I think it was too long.

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have 3 sec intro with just animated rainbow and star. I applied this effects on top of my video so viewer never really watch only intro video.(drawing and painting channel).I use to have 8 sec intro with logo and other staff and I think it was too long.
Great idea incorporating your intro animation on top of your video. Best of both worlds: branding AND efficiency! :)

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have learned with kids channels its a no no..someone suggested that I take it out or make it 1-2 secs.. kids want the action right away.. I just started cutting out our intro and our videos seem to be performing better.

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Except EVERY successful children's show on traditional television has a 30-second to 1-minute intro and remain spectacularly successful. I know kids that can hear a show theme song and come RUNNING to dance and sing along. The question is: IS IT GOOD?

Kids LOVE a musical intro.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Except EVERY successful children's show on traditional television has a 30-second to 1-minute intro and remain spectacularly successful. I know kids that can hear a show theme song and come RUNNING to dance and sing along. The question is: IS IT GOOD?

Kids LOVE a musical intro.
That's true on tv, but on youtube kids have the power to click away or even off.