Does adwords click rate matter and why?

ToysForKids

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
It seems to me that adwords will pump out impressions until you have had enough clicks (budget / cost per click). If that is the case then does click rate matter at all?

Say you put out 10€ budget and you'll be looking for 1000 views at 0.01c per click; what's the difference if google has to make 10 000 vs 50 000 impressions?

I've been studying adwords for a while now and I seem to be able to get 5.5% - 7.5% click rate and if time is not important I can even get little over 10% click rate with certain very specific settings. Is this good? Average? Bad? How does the percent improve my ad campaign for me (I understand google likes high click rates so they don't have to show useless impressions)?

Is there a way to change the budget to pay for impressions and not for clicks? I could see this beneficial for me.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think they changed the name to "interaction rate". My average runs at around 9%. I have seen it as high as 20%, and as low as 3%. I generally don't see any correlation between ultimate success of videos and the Interaction rate. I do not believe the Yt algo looks at internal ad performance metrics when assigning views to videos. Sure, it may discount Adwords generated views, but it's unlikely to go so far as to derank videos due to low-end interaction rates on Adwords. This is speculation, would need an Adwords person to confirm this. Perhaps next time they call me at 1:30am from the UK.

Google will serve those ads with the highest impression (since they are "better" ads). This works perfect if you are running a marketing campaign and are doing A/B/C/etc testing. This is even fine if you have 2 or 3 channel trailers, and run them as pre-rolls. Google will then run the best performing ad. However, it does not work as good if you want to get balanced traffic to a playlist. Before they had a setting which delivered the ads in a campaign as balanced, now they took that off. So you have a few options to balance out traffic if you wish to do so across a playlist. Or you can let them promote 1 video and build it up as a gateway.

Impression rate is pretty irrelevant, apart from judging how "click worthy" your thumbnails are. The better your thumbnails, and I guess the text around the ad, the more it's clicked. Google will still serve impressions until it reached your daily view budget. Ultimately, you don't care if they have to serve 1M or 10k impressions for you to get your 1k views. You pay for views, not impressions. All it shows, is how interested are viewers in clicking your thumbnail.

I don't believe there's a way to pay for impressions. Why would you want to do this. They will give you 1M impressions, max out your Visa and backup card, and give you 2 views!

ToysForKids

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Perhaps next time they call me at 1:30am from the UK.
Haha.

I don't believe there's a way to pay for impressions. Why would you want to do this. They will give you 1M impressions, max out your Visa and backup card, and give you 2 views!
I think many many years ago you could choose pay per impressions and pay per clicks on adwords. This would benefit people with really high click rates.

Is it possible to see which keywords / placements etc. lead to subscribers?

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If you go into "Ads", you can see a column for "Earned Subscribers" for each video in the campaign.
Then go "Video Targeting" then "Placements", it will break down the views per each placements. You don't have a subscriber column here, but you can extrapolate/average it out.
Then go "Video Targeting" then Keywords", it will show the views for each Keyword you have. Once again, no subscriber column, but you can see which keywords drive traffic.

For the impressions, it makes sense if you are building a brand. I can see Coke, Ford, etc being interested this, building a brand in the consumer's mind. Perhaps a top tier toy channel, like Toy Freaks, could also use this.

Reactions: ToysForKids

Gamayun

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think they changed the name to "interaction rate". My average runs at around 9%. I have seen it as high as 20%, and as low as 3%. I generally don't see any correlation between ultimate success of videos and the Interaction rate. I do not believe the Yt algo looks at internal ad performance metrics when assigning views to videos. Sure, it may discount Adwords generated views, but it's unlikely to go so far as to derank videos due to low-end interaction rates on Adwords. This is speculation, would need an Adwords person to confirm this. Perhaps next time they call me at 1:30am from the UK.

Google will serve those ads with the highest impression (since they are "better" ads). This works perfect if you are running a marketing campaign and are doing A/B/C/etc testing. This is even fine if you have 2 or 3 channel trailers, and run them as pre-rolls. Google will then run the best performing ad. However, it does not work as good if you want to get balanced traffic to a playlist. Before they had a setting which delivered the ads in a campaign as balanced, now they took that off. So you have a few options to balance out traffic if you wish to do so across a playlist. Or you can let them promote 1 video and build it up as a gateway.

Impression rate is pretty irrelevant, apart from judging how "click worthy" your thumbnails are. The better your thumbnails, and I guess the text around the ad, the more it's clicked. Google will still serve impressions until it reached your daily view budget. Ultimately, you don't care if they have to serve 1M or 10k impressions for you to get your 1k views. You pay for views, not impressions. All it shows, is how interested are viewers in clicking your thumbnail.

How much should I look to spend on AdWords to double my subs and views ? Right now I have 1-1.5 K subs a week.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
How much should I look to spend on AdWords to double my subs and views ? Right now I have 1-1.5 K subs a week.
Best way to know is to run a few campaigns on different videos and playlists, and see your conversions.
You might find you get a sub every $1 spent (100 views at 1 cent CPC). Or you might get 1 sub for every $10 spent (1000 views at 1 cent CPC).
After you have some data for your channel, you can estimate.
So at the high sub conversion rate, if you spend $1000 you'll get 1000 subs.
At the low sub conversion rate, if you spend $1000 you'll get 100 subs.
And everything in between.

Gamayun

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Best way to know is to run a few campaigns on different videos and playlists, and see your conversions.
You might find you get a sub every $1 spent (100 views at 1 cent CPC). Or you might get 1 sub for every $10 spent (1000 views at 1 cent CPC).
After you have some data for your channel, you can estimate.
So at the high sub conversion rate, if you spend $1000 you'll get 1000 subs.
At the low sub conversion rate, if you spend $1000 you'll get 100 subs.
And everything in between.
where i can get good tutorial for campaigns on the videos? I run campaigns for tags ( search words ) before and got 200 subs for 100 dollars. For a month my subs and views are going down with small spikes up and I need to improve this situation.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
where i can get good tutorial for campaigns on the videos? I run campaigns for tags ( search words ) before and got 200 subs for 100 dollars. For a month my subs and views are going down with small spikes up and I need to improve this situation.
Tutorials, especially good ones, for Adwords are seriously lacking. Basically you learn by experimenting and trying different things. There are the odd videos around on Yt, some a few years old, just google for them. 200 subs for $100 is excellent, that's 50 cent/sub.

Reactions: Gamayun