Do your friends support you and your videos?

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
My friends are pretty chill about my videos. If they occasionally watch one or two that I specifically point out, that's really all I expect of them. I upload pretty frequently, so I don't expect any of my friends to watch every single thing I make, and if they did, I wouldn't expect to hear something about each video. But I certainly do appreciate it when someone takes the time to say something (nice or constructive) about what I do online.

Ocean Chan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's kind of like when a friend or family member comes back from holiday and wants to show all his/her holiday photos and videos. I think most people are genuinely happy that their friend / family member had a good holiday, but that doesn't mean we want to look at all their photos and videos. ^^
Best response ever

I had to sit through 2 hours of my aunt's african safari photos the other night- very hard not to fall asleep

I know I only made a few videos and should probably not draw conclusions yet, but I wanted to share what I've experienced so far. For all my videos, it feels like I am getting a lot more support and genuine appreciation from people on the internet or strangers who happen to stumble upon my videos, than I get from my friends. I've got a very small number of good friends, not including my girlfriend who is always there supporting all my things and commenting first on everything lol.

One of my closest friends discovered my video by himself, as he was already subscribed to me and on his own initiative messaged me as soon as I posted it to tell me how amazing it is and all... Then later in the analytics I could see he only watched 23 seconds...Kinda heartbreaking...

On the other hand people on the internet have actually messaged me, left meaningful comments and have actually watched the whole thing and I am really, really happy to see this!

I was wondering if anyone else felt something like this? Are your friends supporting you and your videos?
My two cents on this. Your friends dont have exactly the same interests. They are support of you and not the thing you are interested in - which isnt a bad thing.

My wife likes cooking shows but i hate them. If she made a youtube channel about cooking - i would leave supportive comments but i wouldbt watch 100% of the videos. I want her to succeed but that doesnt change my interests and its not a reflection of our relationship

Reactions: Crown

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
No! In fact when I told my family I was starting YouTube ( I refuse to say “this journey”) they all said “I’m not going to watch that!” They didn’t really understand what it was and now do watch, though I have to do arm bending

Reactions: FloFloBear

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
My friend that I make videos with watch all our videos :p
Guess that doesn't count, since we are partners and all haha

LIVEst

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter
Interesting topic. It was fun to read your opinions. My friends are the main audience of the channel at the beginning :)

zhkopec

I've Got It
Reaction score
One of my closest friends discovered my video by himself, as he was already subscribed to me and on his own initiative messaged me as soon as I posted it to tell me how amazing it is and all... Then later in the analytics I could see he only watched 23 seconds...Kinda heartbreaking...
How can you draw down the analytics to 1 specific person?

It's kind of like when a friend or family member comes back from holiday and wants to show all his/her holiday photos and videos. I think most people are genuinely happy that their friend / family member had a good holiday, but that doesn't mean we want to look at all their photos and videos. ^^
"I hate listening to people's dreams. It's like flipping through a stack of photographs. If I'm not in them and nobody's having sex then I don't care." - Denis Reynolds

Smartie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I didn't want to share my videos with my friends at first. Few months has pasted, so I ended up so. I do have some close friends that really watch my videos, enjoy them and throw out requests at times. Yet I have 2 best friends that don't really support or either watch them. I can't blame them for that, some people aren't just that interested in certain things.

I refuse to share among my "fb friends" I know a bunch of them personally, but I rather keep it a secret. because it seems my strangers are more supportive in my videos. they are always in my comment section saying great things and liking, and wanting to see more.

That's just the way I feel about things right now, maybe it could change later?

nad

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I understand that you are disappointed that your friends calls the video awesome but then doesn't even take a few minutes to watch it.
I would probably feel the same. None of my friends really cares about my youtube channel, but that doesn't bother me.
They maybe check it out a few times a year and that's it. They aren't interested in the content so why should they watch,

TheSwedishTraveler

I am a Traveler, A Wanderer, A Thinker
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I don´t know if any of my closest friends know about my channel, or if they really care!
Some of my co workers has mentioned it a couple of times, but that´s about it!
My family has talked about it a little bit, commenting on my flow, which is a fair critique!

Masters of Kung Food

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Most , if not all, of my closest friends don't give a sh*t but my coworkers have been very supportive. As well as a lot of strangers. I made a lot of new friends in the 5 months since I started this channel. Who knows, maybe you will to. :)

Reactions: FloFloBear