Do you write scripts for your videos or no?

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys,

So I'm trying to start filming some videos and do a few of my first uploads this week.

However, I've run into a bit of a mental block.

What do you think works best- scripting your videos or not scripting them?

I feel like I get kind of a deer-in-the-headlights issue when I go to film without a script and then it's just awkward to watch back. However, with a script, I'm afraid it will seem too rehearsed.

What do you guys feel is the best approach?

I've heard many people say scripts are the best approach, but it seems like the best YouTubers are more authentic and just talking, rather than going off of a script so I'm not sure which direction I want to go in.

Also, I'm very aware that my first few videos are going to suck anyway. It's the nature of the beast and I'm definitely not comfortable being one-on-one with the camera yet. I'm not looking for a recipe for perfection, just some advice.

Thank you guys for any help you can give,

McKenzie Hope

Reactions: Panton

Magic Pete

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
A very valid question. I’m sure many articles, indeed books have been written on the subject. I make a range of videos types and for me, the answer is that it depends upon the video I’m making.

Just a couple of ‘for instances’. For instance, I have been recording some churches, both inside and out. I would mention that I’m always on my own. Firstly before I start, I do some research on my planned project, making notes. Then I visit and shoot lots of footage, making sure I include all the points of interest.

Then at home I edit the footage into interesting sequences. After that, I write a script to suit the footage and then add the ‘voice over’. I will admit there is a certain skill in doing ‘voice-overs’ or, as you may have found, it can come over as very stilted. We all think our own voice is awful. But not necessarily so. Ask friends. Having written your script then READ IT OUT LOUD. You will soon find that the there are many words & phrases that you don’t speak well. (Tongue twisters!) Replace these bits with alternatives and try again. But READ OUT LOUD. Short sentences are easiest.

Try to give your reading a ‘feeling’ with ups & downs in your voice or it will certainly come over rather flat. I don’t know how the really explain this point. Practice will make it improvements.

A second ‘for instance’. I make videos indoors at home relating to a hobby and explaining to viewers how to do it. Here again, planning is the answer. From experience trying to explain what you are doing in a video and at the same time concentrating on the video so that the visuals are right is not as easy as it appears. Proper rehearsals are the answer (as well as several retakes). Your script need not be word perfect but certainly planned carefully to suit what you are doing.

Regarding talking to the camera as you are doing things or explaining where you are in a holiday video is not as easy as TV presenters make it appear. That’s their skill and they are well paid for it.

Back to your basic question. Speaking ‘off the cuff’ is not so easy but trying to remember word for word a written script is also not so easy. Make a list of the important points and try from there.

It would be interesting to know the style of videos you are making?? Best of luck. Pete.

Conso1727

Pizza pasta mandolino videogiochi
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I heavily rely on scripts for my "main" videos, but that's because I record voiceovers and then overlap them to whatever's happening, so they "fit" the context of the video, I just have to practice in making it sound natural.
On the other hand, the same can't be said for live action videos like vlogs or similar, in that case it's better to use bullet points, or highlighted sentences.

Say for instance I want to talk about a music album, it's obvious that for each track I want to say the impressions I got and since I'm very forgetful it's better for me to write them down, but only those. In recording I look at the camera for the most part, and peek at the sentences when talking gets on that topic, either on a sheet of paper or on a laptop.

So in the end, it boils down to the context of the video itself.

Reactions: kenziecantdraw

Cassarilla

I've Got It
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Channel Type
Cartoonist
Personally, I do more music videos. I'll often look at lyrics wether it's a cover song or something I've made up with quotes or something silly like that. But when speaking I find it helpful not to necessarily have a script but just some notes written down. Something to refer back to that's simple, but helps me get the point across. It's easy for me to ramble. Thank God for editing, but notes do help. I think an entire script could be cumbersome, but it really depends on the type of content you are making. Good luck!

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You can write a script but dont read it out word for word. It would sound awful.
But it could be a good idea to bullet point ideas and then speak freely about them in turn.
That way you know what to speak about next.
Remember if you screw up / pause for too long etc. Redo it and edit out any mistakes.

Looped Fruit

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Iv'e made 43 videos without a script (uploading 43rd Episode on Thursday), even though they were all just improv and I enjoy doing that, writing a script is far better. Usually if you spend more time on something, it will turn out a lot better! Have written scripts in the past for other things. I'm now writing scripts for my videos, coincidentally started writing today before I saw this post. Good luck!

Kennedy Jene

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I personally write scripts for my videos but they're just filled with little notes to keep me on track. I'll write something like a key points then when recording I'll hit those points but also be coming up with stuff on my own. Writing a script definitely helps and I would totally recommend it!:)

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
Every video I produce is scripted. I tried to ad lib, but I am useless at it. Fortunately I'm a reasonably good actor so I don't think I sound scripted, and I write the script myself of course so the videos are authentically my thoughts and my words.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thank you all so much for the advice!

I'm definitely going to keep going with scripts to organize my thoughts, but then speak from memory, rather than reading everything as I wrote it.

I really appreciate the help!

-McKenzie Hope

Reactions: Panton

Magic Pete

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
McKenzie, Would love you to tell us the type of videos you make or plan to make. Perhaps even let us see an example.
All the very best. Pete