Do you write scripts for your vdeos?

My process is similar to Marc978's
  1. Inspiration
  2. Write
  3. Read
  4. Re-write
  5. Add community
  6. Add marketing (Create shirts / wallpapers; anything for my subscribers)
  7. Shot Video
Right now I am trying to figure out how to make more profit off of my Spreashirt site

Same as DeanTheDinosauce, because we both animate, scripting is necessary, however my scripting comes in the form of quick story boards sketched out on paper or using my tablet.
  1. Get an idea
  2. story board the idea on paper or tablet
  3. create the scenes in Anime Studio or now Toon Boom Animate
  4. edit in sound / music in Movie Edit Pro
Wallla!

I'd recommend always writing a script, whatever your type of video. (You don't have to look at the script whilst recording, but it helps you get your thoughts together. Maybe you could sign them and auction them for charity or something if you ever get YouTube famous...)
Then again, my videos are wierd.
I have a very strange way of vlogging.
I almost always write scripts - first I jot down the things I want to mention, in tiny writing at the top of an A4 (or A5) sheet of lined paper, then I write down exactly what I'm going to say, word-for-word, until I exhaust all the topics I jotted at the beginning.
When it comes to recording, I memorize a sentence or two at a time and deliver them to the camera, although what I say usually differs in wording from what's on the paper, and sometimes I expand upon it, going into details which would have taken too long to write on paper.
This method means there are a lot of cuts in my videos, and it may make them seem less natural, too. On the other hand, many of my videos aren't vlogs, as such, but 'shows' that require scripting (ocasionally, they're sketches).
It also ensures I never forget to mention something, or pause for too long (I cut out the bits where I look at the script - over 50% of the source footage for each video shows me reading what to say next)
I do occasionally improvise a video entirely, by simply talking to the camera about things I need to talk about. I normally only do this when I'm documenting an event, or I haven't had time to write a script. It gets mixed results...
My scripts are usually about two sides of A4 per five minutes. I shred and recycle them afterwards. Don't really know why!

sometimes, most of the time its an outline.

JustKev said it the best. Sometimes I script my videos. My latest one was scripted because I was really doing an interview so I wanted to have my questions written down. But most of my videos are outlined. The reason is because although I can improv, what ends up happening is after i'm finished or while I'm editing I get the "damnit! I forgot to say..." effect and it bugs me. With an outline, you can improvise everything but sort of run through the checklist of things you wanted to cover. It's the best way to make videos imo.

JustKev said it the best. Sometimes I script my videos. My latest one was scripted because I was really doing an interview so I wanted to have my questions written down. But most of my videos are outlined. The reason is because although I can improv, what ends up happening is after i'm finished or while I'm editing I get the "damnit! I forgot to say..." effect and it bugs me. With an outline, you can improvise everything but sort of run through the checklist of things you wanted to cover. It's the best way to make videos imo.

Yeah I usually outline them and then improv, for novice actors I think it's the best thing to do

I mostly just jolt ideas down for particular scenes that would fit the music (when I'm making a music video). For my gaming playthroughs I don't work with a script. Would take a lot of the fun out if you ask me.

If its a skit i write a light one with the basic premise, but most of the time I improv. I will usually take takes. I come up with something to say, then i take a few takes and keep saying it over and over until it becomes smooth and refined.

Back