Do you want to ever make a career out of YouTube?

Shendijiro

(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Designer, Animator, Other
Now that I've been doing YouTube full time for 3 years, I'm addicted to the freedom of schedule and not having a boss and not having anyone assessing my work. I would have a hard time going back to a private sector job. If my channel ever completely tanks I'd still rather live in a tiny one room apartment with 10 roommates than go back to a real job. Freedom of personal schedule and spending time with my family is everything to me now.
I want this! :D Sounds like a dream come true, to be able to support your family and being with them most of the time sounds perfect!

Reactions: babyteeth4

VRONA

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It would be awesome to make it a job, but seeing how I only got 146 subscribers after 4 years of work it doesn't seem likely.

Reactions: AllofTheAbove

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
EVERYONE!

With that out of the way, there comes a time where you realize that you do not have what it takes to become a big YouTuber and turn it into a career. At that point you have 2 choices. Quit or treat it as a hobby. The second choice would be the obvious if you started to create rather than seek wealth. Unfortunately far too many people start wanting the world, get frustrated because it doesn't come easy and then ultimately come to forums like these to vent. 9 out of 10 people that vent put 0 effort in their videos too. They just slap content on-line thinking being active is going to get them places. The funny thing was that I started with 3 uploads a week, scaled down to 2, then to 1. After the great downturn of 2016 I nearly quit between December 2016 and January 2017. That was the moment I said "This is a hobby, I am going to treat it as one". Now I upload once or twice a month and the funny thing? My views and subscriber growth isn't that far off from when I uploaded weekly. Quality matters. Quantity? Nope. Unless you are already a huge YouTuber and people watch whatever you put out you are best to create the best content you can and take as much time to make it the best content you can. If you think: "I could have done better" you didn't put enough time in your video.

odabaco

I've Got It
Reaction score
EVERYONE!

With that out of the way, there comes a time where you realize that you do not have what it takes to become a big YouTuber and turn it into a career. At that point you have 2 choices. Quit or treat it as a hobby. The second choice would be the obvious if you started to create rather than seek wealth. Unfortunately far too many people start wanting the world, get frustrated because it doesn't come easy and then ultimately come to forums like these to vent. 9 out of 10 people that vent put 0 effort in their videos too. They just slap content on-line thinking being active is going to get them places. The funny thing was that I started with 3 uploads a week, scaled down to 2, then to 1. After the great downturn of 2016 I nearly quit between December 2016 and January 2017. That was the moment I said "This is a hobby, I am going to treat it as one". Now I upload once or twice a month and the funny thing? My views and subscriber growth isn't that far off from when I uploaded weekly. Quality matters. Quantity? Nope. Unless you are already a huge YouTuber and people watch whatever you put out you are best to create the best content you can and take as much time to make it the best content you can. If you think: "I could have done better" you didn't put enough time in your video.
Wise words! Thank you!

This is just like any worthwhile pursuit. If you do it for the money, then you better be as good as you can be at it. That's being professional about your job or this or both. Just imagine it as your main source of income. If that vision excites you, then you better move heaven and earth to make it happen or it probably won't. :)

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
EVERYONE!

awesome stuff!
thx for your advice, it's really helpful

Reactions: TheDutchTexan

odabaco

I've Got It
Reaction score
what to do if i want to make a living as a youtuber?
any tips?
I'm not making any money from YouTube so my opinion doesn't count much, but the best conceptual advice I could give would be to make sure that the two sides of the equation you are trying to balance can actually match.

What I mean is: anyone can make a career out of a low-paying or unpredictably rewarding source like YouTube, because let's be honest, that is what it will be at first. But if your outgoings each month are high (depends where you live and your financial commitments), then it's going to be tougher to achieve your aim of your main source of income being YouTube.

It's easy to look at big channels with millions of views a month and say they're making bank, i can do the same. But the questions are : Can you? How will you? Will what you make be enough?

I have worked out what I would need to do YouTube near enough full time, and it will be difficult to achieve. My long term aim is to have YouTube be a proportional part of what I earn, merely one income stream of many.

This for me is the safest approach, because as we have seen with Ad-pocalypse, the game can change at any time, and probably will.

Good luck! :)

Reactions: Gervais Katumba
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I'm not making any money from YouTube so my opinion doesn't count much, but the best conceptual advice I could give would be to make sure that the two sides of the equation you are trying to balance can actually match.

What I mean is: anyone can make a career out of a low-paying or unpredictably rewarding source like YouTube, because let's be honest, that is what it will be at first. But if your outgoings each month are high (depends where you live and your financial commitments), then it's going to be tougher to achieve your aim of your main source of income being YouTube.

It's easy to look at big channels with millions of views a month and say they're making bank, i can do the same. But the questions are : Can you? How will you? Will what you make be enough?

I have worked out what I would need to do YouTube near enough full time, and it will be difficult to achieve. My long term aim is to have YouTube be a proportional part of what I earn, merely one income stream of many.

This for me is the safest approach, because as we have seen with Ad-pocalypse, the game can change at any time, and probably will.

Good luck! :)
Thank you so much for this man!
I'm taking note of your advice, a part from YouTube i'm also interested on blogging and i do music full time...
I hope mixing all of this will help me have better life...

I wanted to be using my YouTube channel to be the one supporting my blog post, where i will be posting my videos and send my readers to go and view the lessons i will be doing.

But i strongly believe that it'll work:)

Reactions: odabaco

MickyLee

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would absolutely love to make YouTube my career. However, that is not what I am aiming towards. If it happens then that would be amazing but right now I am just having the time of my life creating content that I love!

Reactions: Gervais Katumba

YoungWildMe3

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
We are not making any money yet but we would love to![DOUBLEPOST=1504651178,1504651117][/DOUBLEPOST]How quickly did you see channel growth? I know its different for everyone but just wondering when certain milestones were hit. Thanks.