Do you want to ever make a career out of YouTube?

Loery Potpie

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Animator
I would definitly hope that it would happen someday, but I won´t count on it too much. That being said, I hear from many people that its actually more work then you think.

odabaco

I've Got It
Reaction score
Yes, I do want that! I think it's good to say it and good to affirm it every day, if that is what you want.

If you want this to be a hobby, then that is great. If you want it to be a career then that is great too! Nothing wrong with believing that.

The trouble comes when we listen to friends, colleagues and loved ones who pour scorn on our efforts.

Use Youtube for whatever your end goal is. Have fun doing it as a hobby or treat it like a business if that's what you want.

The reality is that it probably got 1000x harder in the last year for it to be your career but at least it has plenty of upside, if you can deal with that hardship and make it work.

Most vocations in the world have glass ceilings imposed. They ask you to move heaven and earth for the same average wage year in and year out.

If you can put that same effort into Youtube, how could it reward you?

What makes it exciting is that at least there are possibilities and opportunities for everyone, even if it is getting harder by the day :)

Most of all, try to enjoy it if you can!

Best of luck!

SAMSEER

Reaction score
I always thought that it would be nice to make a career out of YouTube, or at least some extra income. I'm almost on my first dollar! :D
Yes sure,[DOUBLEPOST=1502354589,1502354443][/DOUBLEPOST]Do you need 1000 of subscribers??

There is Thousand of Subscribers for you….. Message me today.

AllofTheAbove

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Reviewer
If you want this to be a hobby, then that is great. If you want it to be a career then that is great too! Nothing wrong with believing that.

The trouble comes when we listen to friends, colleagues and loved ones who pour scorn on our efforts.

Most of all, try to enjoy it if you can!

Best of luck!

I think it can be nice for side income. But I've noticed it's not just friends, colleagues and loved ones who pour scorn on small YouTubers who want to get even a little money from the site.

I recently spoke to a bigger Youtuber who's reached some of my goals and makes money off of YouTube, told them I admired their channel and was a long time subscriber, noted which of my goals they had achieved, but when monetizing came up, they were so upset that I'd already monetized my channel (over 15,000 views but only 36 subs (Some of my old videos are at 1-4k, I uploaded them 2-4 years ago) that they went from giving me tips to improve, and completely changed what they had been telling me.

They got really pedantic, which I've noticed they do often "we didn't get this big overnight, it'll take you years!" - yeah, I know that, most smaller YouTubers know that, I've been at it for three years (actively, though, just two, I've taken a few breaks out of necessity). "You should only do it for fun" when I never said I wasn't...

They really act like just by admiring their channel to any degree (or even alluding to the possibility of getting paid for the same things they're paid for) that we think they started yesterday and /or were already super rich. I'm so sick of that attitude.

They did a 180 and started telling me there's no hope to get the same amount of subs they had (one of my long - long term goals) or to earn money making videos, basically everything short of telling me to delete my channel.

Of course, I'm using that as motivation, but I don't see why they would have an attitude that "YouTube isn't big enough for the both of us". Thing is, it's big enough for anyone who wants to join and put in the work...

All that said, for me, I don't see YouTube becoming a career, and I have a real -world job that I like. YouTube is just a hobby for me.

I know that someone else making money on YouTube doesn't hurt my chances to do the same. Some of these big YouTubers with this attitude need to get over themselves. If you want to make it a career, do the work and I'm sure you can.

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

odabaco

I've Got It
Reaction score
I think it can be nice for side income. But I've noticed it's not just friends, colleagues and loved ones who pour scorn on small YouTubers who want to get even a little money from the site.

I recently spoke to a bigger Youtuber who's reached some of my goals and makes money off of YouTube, told them I admired their channel and was a long time subscriber, noted which of my goals they had achieved, but when monetizing came up, they were so upset that I'd already monetized my channel (over 15,000 views but only 36 subs (Some of my old videos are at 1-4k, I uploaded them 2-4 years ago) that they went from giving me tips to improve, and completely changed what they had been telling me.

They got really pedantic, which I've noticed they do often "we didn't get this big overnight, it'll take you years!" - yeah, I know that, most smaller YouTubers know that, I've been at it for three years (actively, though, just two, I've taken a few breaks out of necessity). "You should only do it for fun" when I never said I wasn't...

They really act like just by admiring their channel to any degree (or even alluding to the possibility of getting paid for the same things they're paid for) that we think they started yesterday and /or were already super rich. I'm so sick of that attitude.

They did a 180 and started telling me there's no hope to get the same amount of subs they had (one of my long - long term goals) or to earn money making videos, basically everything short of telling me to delete my channel.

Of course, I'm using that as motivation, but I don't see why they would have an attitude that "YouTube isn't big enough for the both of us". Thing is, it's big enough for anyone who wants to join and put in the work...

All that said, for me, I don't see YouTube becoming a career, and I have a real -world job that I like. YouTube is just a hobby for me.

I know that someone else making money on YouTube doesn't hurt my chances to do the same. Some of these big YouTubers with this attitude need to get over themselves. If you want to make it a career, do the work and I'm sure you can.
I totally get your position and I sympathise. I'm not sure where, but I've encountered the same in comments on videos I think of in interviews with Youtubers.

Personally I think there are some people in life who hate having to graft to get something and then someone else gets the same on the fast track. I can't understand that, because unless we started at the same time, different conditions existed for both of us. My channel is about LEGO and generally getting it as cheaply as possible.

It would be like someone saving up, paying full price for a LEGO set and then along I come two months later when there's a sale and I buy it for half the price. Honestly, how does that affect them and their LEGO set?

In actual fact they've had two months more play time out of it than I have!

It's a silly example but illustrates my point: Some folks are jealous of others and expect you to not have an easier time than them in anything that they do.

Guaranteed there is a Youtuber who was there from the early 2000s who hates the fact someone got big after joining in 2010!

I just don't understand it. These big Youtubers should at the very least be excited that their efforts appear to be able to continue to pay off for years to come, because let's be honest, it's a Google gravy train that we have the privilege to be a part of, it's not a right!

But then I've always been in work that is all about transferring the knowledge I've sweated over months or yearsto gain, to others in as short a time as possible, so that they can eventually be better than me in their jobs! :)

AllofTheAbove

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Reviewer
Ah, but I enjoyed reading your example, it was a more fun way to see the point come across. Yes, it's true, the jealousy makes no sense what's your line of work, if you don't mind me asking?

Reactions: odabaco

odabaco

I've Got It
Reaction score
Ah, but I enjoyed reading your example, it was a more fun way to see the point come across. Yes, it's true, the jealousy makes no sense what's your line of work, if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks, I wasn't sure about the example but I guess it works!

I'm in IT training. Honestly most of my students go on to have much better and more lucrative careers than me. If that's the case, I've done my job right :)

Reactions: AllofTheAbove

lfkgamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
think in the long run it is my aim to become full time youtuber not sure how long will take though

dina

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
making YouTube a career? absolutely not a bad idea, i just wouldn't focus on it at all. i don't want to put all my eggs in basket, YouTube is quite saturated, if it becomes successful to the point were i can solely depend on it in the future ofcourse, but for now i'll keep my day job and go to school as well lol.

babyteeth4

Taking over the world... ...one kid at a time!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Now that I've been doing YouTube full time for 3 years, I'm addicted to the freedom of schedule and not having a boss and not having anyone assessing my work. I would have a hard time going back to a private sector job. If my channel ever completely tanks I'd still rather live in a tiny one room apartment with 10 roommates than go back to a real job. Freedom of personal schedule and spending time with my family is everything to me now.