Do you use Reddit???

paigelknowles

Engineering & art student that says funny crap!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The other day I decided to make an account on reddit but its extremely confusing and seems super antiquated on the desktop version. Is using Reddit to promote videos worth it? from what I understood the only way you can really be found is by people liking you and if you have no followers I don't get how that works. Also what are all the
subcategories about they make no sense and how do you find new ones that actually matter to you. I'm just lost and I don't know anyone who uses reddit so I turned to you guys for help please help!!

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Reddit is a DANGEROUS place to promote yourself. It's power comes from other people putting your stuff there. Most people only put personal stories or funny pictures. Putting videos up to get views will get you burned. HOWEVER, there are some safe subreddits here and there that allow self promotion like r/newtubers. r/comedy might allow it if you're careful about it. It's pretty hard to find the ones that are more tolerant of self promotion. They are few and far between.

Infinite Paths

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
You can get great viewing figures from Reddit. I often post something and get a few thousand views overnight. If you're a vlogger it might be a bit harder, but usually if you get a certain specific subreddit you can self-promote if you don't do it in a blatant way. Search on the top right for any search terms that might be in a subreddit useful to you.

paigelknowles

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Reddit is a DANGEROUS place to promote yourself. It's power comes from other people putting your stuff there. Most people only put personal stories or funny pictures. Putting videos up to get views will get you burned. HOWEVER, there are some safe subreddits here and there that allow self promotion like r/newtubers. r/comedy might allow it if you're careful about it. It's pretty hard to find the ones that are more tolerant of self promotion. They are few and far between.
So, in other words, you're saying its not worth it? lol I mean what about it is "dangerous" besides the whole getting banned from reddit. I literally only made the account to do so and I haven't used it at all yet. If you get banned for posting your own stuff then what are you supposed to post?

Infinite Paths

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
You need to get some karma before a lot of places will allow you to post, so put something up on "newtubers" or some youtube subreddit like that to get karma.

Reactions: paigelknowles

GamingRack

GamingRack
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I browse the various sub reddits but self promotion unless specified otherwise is really frowned apon

Reactions: daniel burgio

paigelknowles

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You can get great viewing figures from Reddit. I often post something and get a few thousand views overnight. If you're a vlogger it might be a bit harder, but usually if you get a certain specific subreddit you can self-promote if you don't do it in a blatant way. Search on the top right for any search terms that might be in a subreddit useful to you.
What subreddit do you use that gets you so many views??

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Yeah, the dangerous part comes from getting hate due to self promotion. It takes the right subreddit to get views. I have yet to find it. As a matter of fact, going to r/newtubers got me downvoted and I spoke to some friends at Damnlag who warned me that people WILL downvote you just to hurt your promotion so that they can rise above you.

Reactions: paigelknowles

Theo2max

Reaction score
It's kinda risky to do it on reddit you may get downvoted for content due to self promotion but there are some subreddits that allow you to do it on there.

daniel burgio

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It's kinda risky to do it on reddit you may get downvoted for content due to self promotion but there are some subreddits that allow you to do it on there.
And even those can get you downvoted just to push someone else up.