Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm actually not opposed to the rules cause there isn't much to make before the 1,000 Subscriber mark and 4,000 Watch time hours within 12 months. I'm sure once you hit those requirements it becomes a lot easier to see the cash flow.
I agree and that is exactly why I think the rules are fine too
So don't give up or get discouraged. As long as you love doing what you do
And that it why you should start a YouTube channel in the first place:up2::) Don´t think/worry about money/sponsors or anything like that. Do it because you like it and the rest will follow (if you make great content:))

Reactions: Farley Productions

Smartie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think the new changes are reasonable and fair. Most people that create an account, either drop a couple of videos and give up because the slow growth can be discouraging. They want the "try hard" type of people that are committed to achieving these small goals to maintain a channel. We are all small Youtubers on here. I've seen people here since day 1 and some of them are still going and some had already dropped out. It's practically a test to see if you want to do it.

ProXima123

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yes. Undoubtedly. That being said, I do think we need to remember that youtube is a business and as such, they prioritize channels that get the most views. So they want the channels that have the most quality audience retention to succeed, it sucks but that's the way it is. I wouldn't be surprised if Youtube made it even harder for youtube newbies to succeed on youtube than they already have.

Reactions: MillieCan

InTheDogHouse

Building unique animal houses.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think the way it works is pretty fair. Why should the small channels get instant attention when they might not put as much effort in as the ones who spend hours a day every day editing and creating. If you find a niche or work hard then you will be rewarded. in sitting on 200 subs in 2 weeks and 5k views but i also have a little bit of promotion thanks to youtube adwords.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah I have one person I know of that has gone through with the schooling for it. I live in Michigan, and she had to go to Ohio because it was so competitive to get in. Which is kind of odd because people don't realize how hard getting a full-time job in it is. That same person I know has only been getting part time hours for at least the last 6 years because she moved back to Michigan in the same area I am. With such a rural area that I'm in people stay in their jobs till they want to retire kind of thing.
I’m from Ohio! Where did she go to school?

MillieCan

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I am in school now, for biology, but videos are fun to do on the side. I wish I could find more time to be more creative. But I love it, so I will continue trying to improve.

Reactions: markkaz

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I don't think the new rules are really "unfair to newbies" I think the subscriber count is a little stupid. but I actually kind of agree with the watch time requirement. old rules were probably a little to easy to achieve.

before I started making video's I had uploaded some random clips using youtube as a web host and 1 video that was ment to go along with a discussion on a fourm topic. well that one video ended up getting 17k views and a few of my random clips drew 1000 or more views. so I was qualified for monetization before I ever started actually trying to make video's for you tube.

of course being that I had some successful video's with out even trying and I was qualified for monetization was part of why I decided to start actually trying to build a channel. starting out trying to build a channel I did kinda feel like I missed out on some of the learning stepping stones and probably didn't deserve to be able to play ads on my channel.

now that I am starting to figure it out I wish I could still be monetized currently drawing about 10k views and 35k watch mins every 28 days at only a bit over 300 subscribers. that is enough that I could be earning a measurable amount of money, not a lot but enough id feel better about putting some more money into camera's and other for youtube purchases. but at the point I'm at now I can see that the goals set by youtube to be eligible are not unobtainable. ill get there eventually. I think I should be able to reach that goal before the end of 2018.

I started making video's for the purpose of building a youtube channel at the end of November 2017

Reactions: ASMR Amour

Gerald Z

Reaction score
as far as I was aware, youtube upvotes and "bumps" up new channels to give a chance to be heard. unless that was false information. but... technically it's hard whether you're new or old. and it's made hard on purpose, if it were easy, then yt would be flooded with cheap vids and that... which... is kinda ironic, lol. so my analogy is... odd.

Kennedy Jene

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I totally get what you're saying, it is hard to grow on youtube and sometimes it's very frustrating but them making new rules etc is kinda necessary for them as a business. I mean it makes sense but it sucks a little lol But from a business stand point it was a good move. I wish you the best of luck! You got this!