Do you think dead channels are cursed by something?

Noir Proxy

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Designer, Cartoonist
The basic way to lay this down is that currently I am at 8300+ subscribers. I have been riding on this for the last two years and my views maybe get around 30 to 50 views a video, which I assume is the subscriber base. My worry, or theory is that somehow and somewhere my subscribers vanished, are fakes, or something just happened.

Tags and SEO is completely fine but this isn't just about me. I feel like something happened to a lot of lower channels along the lines be it tags, the algorithm, or something. This is after making over 2500 videos too. I am concerned because my next step will be to make a video on a new channel and see how well it does compared to it being on my 5+ year one.

Something is up and it doesn't seem right. Relevance doesn't just die in a ball of fire like that. So it makes me wish Youtube had more than retention and view analytics. VIDIQ doesn't seem to be that helpful either and just reminds you to do stuff that has no knock on affect.

Thoughts?

Dewmonic Abyss

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
If you have 8300+ subs and 50 views per video, I'm gonna be honest.. That's not good.. That's.. really bad..
I do think that would impact your channel growth. Basically, when you upload a video, at least 5% of your subscribers should watch that video. So, you should be getting about 400 views per video. If less than 5% of your subs watch the video, YouTube thinks it's not interesting and doesn't promote it as much. This is what I've been hearing, anyway. I have no idea what could have caused your views to vanish, though.

Reactions: Mithril

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Channels can definitely get into a slump.
I have had it where I have had a run of poor form from first 48hours on a new video that last many videos.
Then I might get 1 video that pops and the next videos continue to do well before a poor video brings it down again.
In general my views are poor to start. But they are all 'Evergreen' and once they have sat for a little while (Could be weeks/Months even Years) they all tend to do well eventually.
I guess thats SEO at play here.

Annie's Vegan Journey

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Wow that's a serious drop in views with such a high subscription count, I don't know much about Youtube at all. Am still completely new to this but sounds really suss. :( . Your channel is quite professional, I don't see how you could have such low views for your niche.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think it could be the content you upload isn't as popular as what you did 5 years ago. Looking at your videos form a popularity standpoint, you can see a pattern where the much older videos did very well, but the dropoff goes along the line of the age of the videos, which makes me think the types of games you play/review may have been much more popular earlier.

Reactions: Austerpower

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
This is after making over 2500 videos
Too many and not necessary.

You should make fewer videos but make them better. I had a quick look at your channel, and there was a gap of 5 months where you didn't upload any videos. That alone can kill a channel. Also, your SEO isn't very good at all. You have decent tags but that's about it. Tags have little weight. Titles and descriptions are more important and your descriptions are all the same disclaimer message and external links. I clicked on 3 vids to check the description and they were all the same with no keywords related to the actual content of the video. If all of your videos are like that, you're targeting the same keywords across 2500 videos. that's a huge wasted opportunity.

My advice - Before blaming Youtube - Go back and learn the fundamentals of growing a channel, in particular good SEO. Each video should have a unique title, tags and especially a unique, longish description describing the video with some decent keyword combinations. Don't be lazy and just copy-paste the same text for each one.

Good luck.

MarkRodriguez2012

Youtube Reviewer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Ahhh I get it. I've seen that phrase used here and there and never had time to check out what it actually meant.

I agree with earlier posts. Leaving your channel for 5 months is a death wish.

Noir Proxy

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Designer, Cartoonist
I appreciate the feedback. The 5 month gap was due to losing someone very close to me in my life, so it was death on two fronts I guess. :-( Yeah I am not very knowledgeable with SEO. Well at least with videos. I do it quite well in writing jobs but I think a lot of tags need to be repeatable because you need to imagine yourself as a viewer and what you would search for. If that makes sense?

Reactions: Crown