Do you share your videos with your family?

Do you share your videos with loved ones?

• Absolutely!

• Not a chance!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bruman

Well Known Pampaw
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It is a simple question that can be answer in complex ways!

Do you share your videos/content with your family and friends?

Story Time:

When I was younger I had a small YouTube channel and I certainly wanted it to grow,
yet I never explored the avenue of sharing it with my friends and family. At the time
it seemed so... odd. Not to mention I was extremely self-conscious and was worried
one of them may not like it. What an embarrassment that would have been for my 16
year-old self! Nowadays though, things have changed. I no longer care what others think
about my posts or content. As I have come to realize that if I put my heart into my videos
and act like myself, then they will see me as nothing different other than good ole Chris!
I learn new things everyday from my past and what I gather from not sharing with my
loved ones is that it was a huge mistake. Loved ones are probably the most caring people
in our lives or in other words the people who give us the most support. So, why should
we leave them out of the loop when it comes to our dreams of being YouTubers and
spreading love around the world? IMO We shouldn't! But that's what this thread is for,
tell me the reason you do or do not share your content with your loved ones!

Reactions: Extreme Direction

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
i don't force my family to watch my vidoes but its not a secret either and there are a least a few of them that watch regularly. I will occasionally post a video to my personal Facebook page witch is all family and friends. there is no point to trying to hide it anyway because as your channel grows its more and more likely that people you know will stumble across them anyway. iv had a number of people that I know who I have never mentioned the fact that I make YouTube video's mention to me that they had come across my channel.

Reactions: Bruman

Bruman

Well Known Pampaw
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
i don't force my family to watch my vidoes but its not a secret either and there are a least a few of them that watch regularly. I will occasionally post a video to my personal Facebook page witch is all family and friends. there is no point to trying to hide it anyway because as your channel grows its more and more likely that people you know will stumble across them anyway. iv had a number of people that I know who I have never mentioned the fact that I make YouTube video's mention to me that they had come across my channel.
I've actually had the same thing happened within my platoon. One of my friends asked when I was posting my next video but I never mentioned it to him. Turns out he found it through one of my other friends sharing it.

Reactions: Ezrider92356

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
iv been recognized a surprising (to me) amount of times considering my channel isn't that big. with a bit over 600k views and just under 4500 subs. the one that threw me off the most. It was morning hours at a hole in the wall truck stop in the middle of no where. I had bought fuel and went inside to pay I was tired and youtube was the furthest thing from my mind. I notice a guy kind of staring at me but didn't think much of it and as I was finishing up my transaction and about to walk out he starts walking twards me quickly and then blurts out loudly "hey! your that guy on YouTube aren't you" everyone that was inside stopped in there tracks and stared at me...lol but iv had 5 strangers approach me in public and at least as many acquaintances mention to me that they had seen me on youtube.

trying to keep it a secret that you make youtube video's is kinda like trying putting a high vis safty vest on over the top of camo and trying to hide in a bush in the park.

Bruman

Well Known Pampaw
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
iv been recognized a surprising (to me) amount of times considering my channel isn't that big. with a bit over 600k views and just under 4500 subs. the one that threw me off the most. It was morning hours at a hole in the wall truck stop in the middle of no where. I had bought fuel and went inside to pay I was tired and youtube was the furthest thing from my mind. I notice a guy kind of staring at me but didn't think much of it and as I was finishing up my transaction and about to walk out he starts walking twards me quickly and then blurts out loudly "hey! your that guy on YouTube aren't you" everyone that was inside stopped in there tracks and stared at me...lol but iv had 5 strangers approach me in public and at least as many acquaintances mention to me that they had seen me on youtube.

trying to keep it a secret that you make youtube video's is kinda like trying putting a high vis safty vest on over the top of camo and trying to hide in a bush in the park.
You would think the camo and High vis vest is a joke but from a soldier in the army, we actually do that. It's so stupid.

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Coming from the christian conservative background my family comes from, it wouldnt be a good idea for me to share it with them as much as I would love to. Both sides of my family are Jehovah's Witnesses for the most part and wouldnt understand the context of a lot of my content anyways whether it be some cultural things I grew up with (anime and game references) or be it my life struggles with p**n and my somewhat crude and brutally honest humor. But im glad others are able to and have positive feedback from doing so.

Bruman

Well Known Pampaw
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Coming from the christian conservative background my family comes from, it wouldnt be a good idea for me to share it with them as much as I would love to. Both sides of my family are Jehovah's Witnesses for the most part and wouldnt understand the context of a lot of my content anyways whether it be some cultural things I grew up with (anime and game references) or be it my life struggles with p**n and my somewhat crude and brutally honest humor. But im glad others are able to and have positive feedback from doing so.
I see what you mean, my parents didn't like me cursing or getting tattoos for the longest time. Eventually I joined the army and it became who I was. although I do understand how you parents religion might make it hard for them to understand you. Maybe other siblings or friends?

Reactions: Extreme Direction

Steves World

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
Of course I share my video with my family!
I share them on Facebook, IG, and other places!
ALL of my videos are family/work friendly, no reason not to share them.

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
I see what you mean, my parents didn't like me cursing or getting tattoos for the longest time. Eventually I joined the army and it became who I was. although I do understand how you parents religion might make it hard for them to understand you. Maybe other siblings or friends?
I do with some of the new close people ive made friends/family with in the last few years, but they are a handful. When you're raised in a cult, your whole world and identity becomes that as well as your entire social structure. If and when you decide to leave, then for the most part the entire social structure falls apart and the people who you were closest too shun you and look at everything you do critically because it isnt the way they're use to thinking, feeling and living. There are always exceptions to the rule but even then they too have to tread on water for fear of the same treatment and judgement so its best to move on and save the heartache of yearning for things you will never get back. It's also why I joined this forum because I truly dont have a community like I use to.

Imagine being a part of a group of close to 7-8 million people that generally will accept you open arms as a stranger even if its in another city, state or even country just because you claim to believe the same things and serve the same purpose. Not too dissimilar to small towns everyone knows everyone even out of state and word and communication travel fast. Its quite impressive and cults tend to have great communities and connection, the problem lies when you start to become a free and critical thinker.

Either way I could go on for hours explaining the ins and outs of being in that place but in summary, you guys on the forum are what I got now aside from the small few ive made new connections with. It doesn't at all mean I dont love, adore and appreciate those few, but most people dont understand or take being a content creator as a serious thing so I think its hard for them to understand how important their interaction, feedback and support with your content is. Most people are stuck in the old mindsets of practical wisdom and practical living as far as career and lifestyle goes and have not even the slightest idea of where we are at in society and the infinite potential as a digital entrepreneur so thats why I feel that forums and communities like this of people who do take it serious and understand the struggle and effort it takes and also the rewards, are so so important.