Do You Script Your Videos?

TheAustrianGuys

TeaRoller
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I kinda have to use script due to the fact, that I'm a perfectionist. I'm currently writing on a webseries and if there won't be a script I think that would be a total mess! I just did 2 sketches but these two were scripted. VLogs and Let's Plays are without script (duh). But since I'm not a native speaker the whole process of producing the video would take some much longer!

I love improv but when it comes to more complex scenes there needs to be a script for me!

Oh and the most time consuming part for me is the editing ;)

GeekyNet

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I usually just get an idea for a video and go at it. Then I watch the video when it's done, cut out pieces I don't like and add information. Editing for me is where it takes time. I like to make sure I am speaking clear & talk correctly. Sometimes I get lazy though and have bad edits, but it depends on the video...

One time I spent like 30 minutes on a segment, just to realize I was giving much more information than any sane person would care about so I deleted it. Another time I spent like 20 minutes on a 10 second intro because I kept having bloopers, messing up & not liking it.

Some types of videos I do are simple as hell though.
Video playing, voice over explaining something, boom done. Some videos take an hour+ to make, others take 5-10 minutes. My compilation videos are the ones that take the most - such as Top WoW Rages, Top WoW Songs, Top WoW Facts. Those ones require a lot of browsing to get content in the first place & then editing.

As for specific scripts, I've never written out a script for my videos.

Reactions: Laura Buchanan

PikachuNarutodude

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer
I dont script any fun gaming video and for lets plays the only thing I plan is when to cut the video or what i shouldnt say :p

roaryratcoon

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm fairly new to actually making youtube videos, but have been doing films and other projects for a long time. For youtube videos I think, at least personally, that improvisation is best as I would tend to lose some of the awkwardness of my videos if they were scripted. However, when doing a film (either a short or full length) everything is scripted due to the huge undertaking of such a project.

Just wanted to share those thoughts, but what may work for myself may not apply to everyone. Once again, I think it comes down to personal preference.

Sweet Tooth Outlaws

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I never script my videos, I feel like being yourself and just filming with out any scripts is a more natural feeling to me. I'm not saying have guide lines or a small script is a bad thing, but I want to feel like I'm connecting to my audience and editing is better for me if there isn't a script.

Cybs

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I'm scripting my reviews and explanation video's to make sure I cover everything I want. One of my last video's, I practiced the script a few times so I could do it by heart and that sounded a lot more natural. I'd love to do everything out of my head and come up with stuff on the fly, but I dont think I'm ready for that just yet. So I do it like this for now. I read the first 3 paragraphs of the script and do that part. After that I read the next 3 and etc.

PartAndroid

Bad Jokes... Really...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
My script is more like a guideline... (Read in Barbossa's voice for full effect. In fact, read the whole damn post)

I tend to have a quick look at the script to get the general gist of it. And then go for it.
Though I do script with any voice over based stuff.

I feel I can more expressive if I treat it as a guideline, because then I'm not always wondering what the exact sentence or paragraph is.

In my news videos, ones where I just take the p**s, I tend to script and improvise it.

Laura Buchanan

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Nope I did the first few videos and since then haven't done it. I found that when I scripted it....it just came off way too fake and not me. Now I just go with the flow and say whatever I feel in the moment
Same here, When I got back I cringe at out artificial it sounds to me now!

I have to script my videos for the same reason I have to script my grocery list; I'll forget why I'm there, and I'll end up getting a lot of junk food.

It's not a perfect analogy.
I love your analogy, however I usually go to buy something and walk out of the store without anything! What can I say I'm weird.

I've tried scripting my videos, but I've found that a better strategy for me is to jot down a couple points I want to expand on and then go from there.
I don't even get that far. I have a topic sentence and that's it!

I'm fairly new to actually making youtube videos, but have been doing films and other projects for a long time. For youtube videos I think, at least personally, that improvisation is best as I would tend to lose some of the awkwardness of my videos if they were scripted. However, when doing a film (either a short or full length) everything is scripted due to the huge undertaking of such a project.

Just wanted to share those thoughts, but what may work for myself may not apply to everyone. Once again, I think it comes down to personal preference.
I agree that the choice to script or not to script is entirely personal!

Due to my channel revolving around shorts films as well as tutorials, if I didn't script my videos it would be an utter train wreck.
That would be a train wreck. I've written a few scripts for short films that I would one day love to actually make, they will defiantly be scripted videos!

My script is more like a guideline... (Read in Barbossa's voice for full effect. In fact, read the whole damn post)

I tend to have a quick look at the script to get the general gist of it. And then go for it.
Though I do script with any voice over based stuff.

I feel I can more expressive if I treat it as a guideline, because then I'm not always wondering what the exact sentence or paragraph is.

In my news videos, ones where I just take the p**s, I tend to script and improvise it.
I like this!

KYCnick

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
We write the main idea. Try to add in a few key jokes.
But we pretty much make bullet points and improv it out.
We should a few takes of each thing and keep the best one.