Do you save a copy of your video on your local drive?

ASMRher

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I use final cut pro to share my video to youtube, thus there's no exported file to save on my local or external hard drive.
Do do you guys think I should export a separate video master file just to keep a copy of the edited version of my videos?

Would youtube one day have some kind of malfunction that lose all my vids?

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I personally do not keep a copy of my video.
Over the last 10 years of uploading to YouTube I have uploaded maybe a 1000 videos and not once ever needed to use/refer back to the original file saved on my computer?

Reactions: ASMRher

LCGaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
We always export a copy of our videos before we post them to YouTube, for personal records and if something goes wrong. For example one of the videos we uploaded did not come out with the quality we originally exported it with, so luckily we had the exported copy of the video and we just re-uploaded it to YouTube and everything was good. Always good to have a copy of your work.

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
i think its better to save to your hard drive first. I also use fcpx but never use the upload straight to youtube functions. I keep all original unedited raw footage and a copy of the completed upload. Useful if some scumbag copies your video as you can prove you are the creator/originator of all IP.

LCGaming

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
i think its better to save to your hard drive first. I also use fcpx but never use the upload straight to youtube functions. I keep all original unedited raw footage and a copy of the completed upload. Useful if some scumbag copies your video as you can prove you are the creator/originator of all IP.
This is a good point. Keep raw footage and the final product.

UhoohExtra

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
also.. you should be watching your video several times before you upload to youtube.. otherwise your gonna miss a mistake or something you want to edit out before you upload your final edit. Its too late to fix it if your uploading straight to youtube.

Reactions: LCGaming

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I save a copy to hard drive and to the cloud (Google drive). I also back up to an external hard drive.

Reactions: ASMRher

ASMRher

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for all the replies! Noted!