Do you need a license/written permission for every gameplay video?

Geostigma

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Do i have to meet some requirements to join a network? I mean i am new to youtube. Do i have to contact them or will they contact me? I don`t know the process. If i join a network, let`s say i am joining Creative Nation, will they care for all of this license stuff?

I have no problem if they cut my money, i just don`t want to deal with license stuff everytime i want to upload a gameplay video. For example: I wrote tecmo koei/Team Ninja Games an e-mail, asking them for
permission to upload and monetize just one video from the game "Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate". It was kinda hard to find their e-mail adress (english e-mail adress) because they are a japanese game studio. I don`t even know if they will ever respond to my message. This whole license stuff makes me tired, so i don`t mind getting less money by joining a network. The only thing i want from the network is to deal with all of these license stuff, nothing more.

EDIT: @Pentra: Thanks buddy but i still have to get permission, there is a box which i have to fill with "words" right? (Picture 1 and Picture 2). So i have to write them an e-mail and get some sort of permission. After that i have to copy this permission message from bethesda and put it on the box on Picture 2 ,right?

Happy

Reaction score
Resolve all your problems? Nope, they might offer instant monetization (which btw is going away for Affiliate Partners) but that doesn't stop a Game Developer giving you a Copyright Strike.

Your info is quite incorrect, networks don't solve all your issues and problems, and what's so good about Creative Nation? They are a good network, but not the best. You should never join a network at a low level on YT.
I don't say they can resolve copyright strike. If you receive more than 2 strikes, network will kick you out.
Why do developers want to flag your video who are promoting their game?
Why is creative nation low level? Did anyone complaint of them?
I am not advertising creative nation.

RedFox

YTTalk's Fox
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
I don't say they can resolve copyright strike. If you receive more than 2 strikes, network will kick you out.
But you said they will resolve all your problems, and networks will usually kick you out the minute you receive one strikes, but it depends on the network.

Why is creative nation low level? Did anyone complaint of them?
I am not advertising creative nation.
Never said they were low level, just said they're not the best, but yes, if you only know how many threads are on here about missing payments. etc.

EDIT: @Pentra: Thanks buddy but i still have to get permission, there is a box which i have to fill with "words" right? (Picture 1 and Picture 2). So i have to write them an e-mail and get some sort of permission. After that i have to copy this permission message from bethesda and put it on the box on Picture 2 ,right?
That post is your permission, just Copy and Paste the part I mentioned and link them to that page and you should be fine, from my own experience if your first video gets a Content ID claim (which it shouldn't with the Evil Within) and you show them proof of commercial rights, your next videos on that game won't.

Also requirements are based on networks, usually it's to have a number of views and subs and no Copyrighted Content that you don't have permission, if you choose to join a network you may have to remove that content.

Also: I don't suggest monetizing with low views and sub numbers, usually this will point people away from your videos, also joining a network at a low lever I don't suggest either, you end up getting locked in and it does more bad than good, a network won't mean you can upload Copyrighted content.

Geostigma

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
@Pentra: oh you were talking about Bethesda in particular? Oh sorry i was talking about this stuff in general.

You mean this message right?
"We encourage (and are big fans of) the many videos created by our community that use assets from our games – including, but not limited to “Let’s Play” videos, instructional videos demonstrating our modding tools, and fan service tributes using gameplay and music from our games. We’re okay (and encourage) these videos being posted on video services like YouTube or on your personal website and/or blog. It’s also okay for you to monetize your videos via the YouTube partner program and similar programs on other video sharing sites." >> thats the permission message right?

Thats fantastic from Bethesda, so i can put this message on "all" bethesda games right? That would be awesome.

Because yesterday i was thinking: "Hey if i get permission for uploading and monetizing from Bethesda for the game Evil Within in particular that would be awesome" "But what if i want to upload and monetize another game from Bethesda, can i use the same permission message (which also might be dated > 6 months passed) for another Bethesda game?

But according to your message @ Pentra, it looks like this sort of permission message goes to all Bethesda games. Is this always the case? what if a companys tells me "Hey you have permission to upload/monetize Assassins Creed 3 ,but you are not allowed to do the same with Assassins Creed 4" <<< i mean that would be some sort of nitpicking, man this would be annoying.

I don`t need monetization right now, but i want to know all the steps i need to do in order to get money in the future. I want to prepare myself to go "live" with my channel. I just want to make sure that all my effort is paying of in some way (getting a little bit money). I am very ambitious but a newbie when it comes to all this stuff.

Man i feel like i need some kind of a "Mentor" who is accompany me in the beginning, i wouldn`t know of all these network and license stuff.

One thing: why exactly is it not a good idea to monetize right from the beginning? You said it will point away users away...why? are they able to see if i am monetizing or not? How can they see that? and why is a network at the beginning a bad idea? can you explain further? I need to prepare myself as good as i can.

I want to go live with my youtube channel at the 10th of october, but till then i want to know how all these license stuff and network stuff work exactly.

Thank you guys so much!

PS: (Any "mentors" out there with skype?) :D

Jaguar550

Not without Vakarian!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
^^Ubisoft content(Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, Rayman ect) are fine. According to their policy you're free to upload walkthrough's, let's play's ect and monetize via partner programs. But be careful with music though, in games like Watch Dogs there is lots of licensed music from artist where you need permission. Usually i edit out the licensed music or replaced it with Royalty free music.

Commercial use of games is not oke(example you can't charge viewers to access your video's) but however most publisher don't mind if you monetize through partner programs like Youtube.

Geostigma

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Man so many questions...............what about Team Ninja Games/Tecmo Koei? I don`t have an answer from them yet, so im wondering if somebody knows if they allow monetization.[DOUBLEPOST=1411300433,1411233881][/DOUBLEPOST]Guys guys i think i got the answer, but i am not 100% sure. IT LOOKS like that some game developers allow you monetization and some not , BUT they are also game developers who "MAYBE" allow your monetization. I uploaded a gameplay footage from Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate (Game developers = Team Ninja Games/Tecmo Koei. I looked on the internet if they allow monetization or not.
This is what i found: "Famous for stuff like Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden. Specifically in the words of the email, “TecmoKoei does allow people to make video reviews and other similar works, but we do not typically allow monetization.” So it sounds like they are kind of random when it comes to monetization. My brother uploaded a lot of Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate gameplay footage and some of his uploads got monetized some of them not (NOTE: this is the same company we are talking about).

I was so frustrated especialy as a new youtuber because i didn`t know what this was about. Unfortunatly ,yes unfortunatly my first video was from a company who allow monetization randomly ,this is why i was confused.

Today i uploaded a gameplay video from the game "Dark Souls 2" which is from the company "FromSoftware". It was instantly monetized, i checked it on the video manager and i can see the green dollar sign there.

I pray to god that i am right, because this would make a lot of sense.

Yes a lot of game companys allow you to upload gameplay footage and monetization.
Yes there are also game companys who don`t allow monetization (i think one of them is Nintendo)
AND if i should be right, then there also game companys who are like "Maybe we are monetizing it, maybe not" > so its kind of random if your videos get monetized or not.

Whatever it is, i am happy right now. :D

kankyo11

△ NooBie ♎ Neko ♏
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Guru, Vlogger, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
How if content I found from Internet & I editing that?