Do you need a license/written permission for every gameplay video?

Geostigma

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys,

i am new on Youtube and i have a question/problem.

I uploaded a gameplay video from a fighting game on consoles called Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate. The name of the game developers are Team Ninja Games/Tecmo Koei.

So this is what i did:

1) I created a Youtube Gaming Channel like one week ago.
2) I uploaded 1 video to test a few things out.
3) I wanted to check out the google Adsense stuff ,so i did an AdSense account (The Adsense stuff was approved).
4) I uploaded another video and delete my first video for a few reasons.

(Note: I am very very new to youtube and i did an Adsense account right in the beginning. I`ve heard Youtube contacts you (for partnerin purposes) if you meet some conditions ,but in my case i was the one who went to google Adsense to become partner).

5) Uploading a video was no problem for me, but if you want to monetize it, you go to your video > Informations > Monetizing> there is a box showing up ,asking you to show youtube some sort of license from the respective game developers. (Online-License, written license). If you don`t have a license, you can`t get paid. In the video manager there is a "warning sign" ("!") which tells you that your video is not monetized. There would be a "green dollar sign" if your video was monetized successfully.

6) Now here is my question: According to all of this i have to get an online-license or a written permission from (in this case its Team Ninja Games/Tecmo Koei) the respective game developers right? I mean thats absolutly understandable but what i don`t understand is, that some people who don`t have a google adsense account or who got contacted from youtube itself, don`t need all of these license stuff for monetization , is that correct? But if they don`t have a google adsense account, how the hell do they get paid? They have these "green dollar sign" next to their videos, but they told me, they never had those license stuff to deal with.

7) The thing which gets me frustrated is this: It looks like i have to get an online-license or a written permission for every single gameplay video i make, while others don`t have to deal with this and apparently getting paid regardless if they have a license or a written permission for their gameplay videos.

This is confusing me to death, i hope there is somebody who can clarify this up for me.

There will be a horror game coming up in october called "The Evil Within" from Tango Studios/Bethesda...so in my case i should contact them , just to see in advance , if i am able to upload gameplay videos (and monetise it) from their game, right?

I want to know the process of getting a license...

So the first step would be to contact the company with an e-mail...but what should i write them exactly?

I mean should i write things like: " Hey my name is [...] i want to upload gameplay videos from the evil within, am i allowed to do that?" and i want take advantage from youtubes partner program (monetizing), so i could probably get paid from youtube. But i need permission from you guys....and so on"

I don`t have experience with this, i need somebody who can help me with this.

(So the point is: My goal is to make gameplay videos but getting paid for it, and i want to know every step do reach this goal.)

I have skype, we could talk there too.

Best regards

Geo

Last edited:

Playinithard

Shibby!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer
In general sense yes. But most developers and publishers don't mind and it's fair use.

And I believe Bethesda is one of those who are really cool about posting on YouTube as long as it doesnt break any NDA.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved this here for you :)

Happy

Reaction score
A "warning sign" ("!") shows in your videos because many people have uploaded this gameplay video on Youtube.
Your screen video looks like other's videos and Youtube thinks you reupload other's videos.
You can send a message to developer and ask them for permission. Most game developers always agree because you are promoting their game.
If you want to avoid "warning sign" ("!") without permission. You can join a network, they will resolve it for you.

Last edited:

Geostigma

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
First i want to thank you guys for your responses , i realy appreciate that!

If you guys don`t mind i would like to know what you would do in my case.

Let`s say you just created your channel like one week ago and you also have google Adsense, because you want to monetize everything right from the beginning.

Now let`s say you have a short 3 Minutes gameplay footage from a game you like. You want to upload this as your first video but you want to monetize it to at the same time.

Now what i want to know is ,which steps are you going to take now? Can you tell me step by step what you would do in this case?

What would you do? How you would exactly handle this?

1) ...

2) ...

3) ....

I think this would be realy helpful, it could answer some of my questions and give me an idea how to handle all of this for the future.

I would be realy realy happy, right now i am a little bit frustrated and desperate.

Oh and btw, i am also on skype.

Cheers and thank you guys

Happy

Reaction score
1/ Upload your video
2/ Then on the Monetization tab, tick the checkbox next to the message that reads: “Monetize my video"
3/ If Youtube want you to provide proof of commercial use rights, you should ask developers for permission.
If you want to monetize without permission. You need join a network.
Important: Network will cut off your money that you earned. Be careful before you join a network.

Geostigma

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
3/ If Youtube want you to provide proof of commercial use rights, you should ask developers for permission.
Important: Network will cut off your money that you earned. Be careful before you join a network.

Thank you Happy!!!

1) So if i join a network, they will care about the license stuff so i won`t need to deal with all this , is this correct?

2) When i go to the "Monetization" tab (after i uploaded my video) there is a box showing up:

Picture 1

Picture 2

3/ "If Youtube want you to provide proof of commercial use rights..."

As you can see on the pictures, i have to give some proof of commercial use in advance. What i mean is, i can not monetize a video and give the license/proof of commercial use rights a few days later ( it looks like there is no option for this) and according to those two pictures, youtube asks you to show some sort of proof right at the beginning of the monetization process.

"If Youtube want to you to provide proof of commercial use rights" > when i saw this i thought i could give my video up for monetizing and maybe receive a letter ( or maybe not if the game developers don`t care) from youtube to provide proof of commercial use rights, but Youtube asks me to give some sort of proof right in the beginning (Picture1 and Picture2).

So this tells me, i have to give proof of commercial use of rights first, before i can monetize it. So i can not give proof of commercial use of rights later, i have to do it right at the beginning (Picture1 and Picture2).

Am i right? Maybe this is a new change ,maybe in 2013 it was handled differently. I only know that all of this confuses me, because a friend of mine got contacted from youtube (not sure if it had something to do with google adsense or some network) ,he got paid for his videos, but he don`t have all of this stuff i have to deal with.

3) Google Adsense is for getting you paid right? GoogleAdsense and the networks you talked about are completly different things, am i right?

Thank you guys for all your help, i am craving to get some answers right now ,hahaha :D

Last edited:

RedFox

YTTalk's Fox
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
It depends on the game developer, Mojang who own Minecraft fully allow it, and have a section in the EULA that states it clearly, Rockstar on the other hand allow videos but deny monetization, there's not way around that.

Others need you to contact them and they will give you permission.

Explain please.

Happy

Reaction score
I have no video with "!" so I can't tell you exactly steps.
If you don't want to waste of time for monetizing, you should join a network. They will resolve all your problem.
Creative Nation is the best network. They just cut off 10% your money.[DOUBLEPOST=1411213926,1411213519][/DOUBLEPOST]
It depends on the game developer, Mojang who own Minecraft fully allow it, and have a section in the EULA that states it clearly, Rockstar on the other hand allow videos but deny monetization, there's not way around that.

Others need you to contact them and they will give you permission.

Explain please.
Network can instant monetize your video, resolve your all problem. Some networks can motenize "third party content".
Some thief youtubers reupload other's videos and join network to earn money.

RedFox

YTTalk's Fox
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer, Commentator
I have no video with "!" so I can't tell you exactly steps.
If you don't want to waste of time for monetizing, you should join a network. They will resolve all your problem.
Creative Nation is the best network. They just cut off 10% your money.[DOUBLEPOST=1411213926,1411213519][/DOUBLEPOST]
Network can instant monetize your video, resolve your all problem. Some networks can motenize "third party content".
Some thief youtubers reupload other's videos and join network to earn money.
Resolve all your problems? Nope, they might offer instant monetization (which btw is going away for Affiliate Partners) but that doesn't stop a Game Developer giving you a Copyright Strike.

Your info is quite incorrect, networks don't solve all your issues and problems, and what's so good about Creative Nation? They are a good network, but not the best. You should never join a network at a low level on YT.[DOUBLEPOST=1411214421][/DOUBLEPOST]@OP: In relation to the Evil Within, Bethesda are ok with Videos and Monetization:

http://www.bethblog.com/bethesda-video-policy/

We encourage (and are big fans of) the many videos created by our community that use assets from our games – including, but not limited to “Let’s Play” videos, instructional videos demonstrating our modding tools, and fan service tributes using gameplay and music from our games. We’re okay (and encourage) these videos being posted on video services like YouTube or on your personal website and/or blog. It’s also okay for you to monetize your videos via the YouTube partner program and similar programs on other video sharing sites.