Do you need 100 subs to rank high on the YouTube search?

VPhix

Reaction score
Is this true guys, do you need 100 subs to rank high on the search? Because I have heard this hear and there I just diont know if it is true?

Kelkschiz

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I don't think it is true. Even when I didn't have 100 subs yet I still had some videos rank on the first page of some relatively popular searches. However SEO is important, have you spend time researching SEO?

iMSaiyan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
SEO, watch time, retention time is what determines what will be put on the first page - big channels get there all the time because well, they meet those 3 criteria the second they put their video out.

Zesty

Zesty Person!/Rainbow Six Youtuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's just the way you tag your videos tbh. If you add enough tags that go with your video, you'll rank high enough. Me for instance, I made one gaming video on a team and was ranked third in the entire list for that video that now has 10,000 videos of. I only have 22 subscribers and I had about 10 back then, and I ranked higher than someone with 8k. So to answer this, no you don't need any number of subscribers to rank high in the search tool.

iMSaiyan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
It's just the way you tag your videos tbh. If you add enough tags that go with your video, you'll rank high enough. Me for instance, I made one gaming video on a team and was ranked third in the entire list for that video that now has 10,000 videos of. I only have 22 subscribers and I had about 10 back then, and I ranked higher than someone with 8k. So to answer this, no you don't need any number of subscribers to rank high in the search tool.
It helps but def not the reason why you'd rank up high, you act like you are the only person tagging a video "correctly" or "good", SEO and YT's algorithm is much more in-depth than that

Zesty

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It helps but def not the reason why you'd rank up high, you act like you are the only person tagging a video "correctly" or "good", SEO and YT's algorithm is much more in-depth than that
That's not what I'm saying at all, I'm just saying if you tag videos correctly and they actually correlate with the video it will get up in the rank system even with a small following.

iMSaiyan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
That's not what I'm saying at all, I'm just saying if you tag videos correctly and they actually correlate with the video it will get up in the rank system even with a small following.
If that's what you think...of course if you tag your videos "COD CATMAN ATTACKS A TANK" and then search it up, you'd obv be up there but who would actually search for something so specific? I'm sure that's what you mean because no way in hell would you ever rank for something as widely searched as "COD GAMEPLAY PART 1" or "COD MULTIPLAYER KILL STREAK" --

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Depends what keywords you are competing for. In our genre, you probably need 5k-10k to rank for medium comp keywords, for some high competition keywords like "kids" and "toys", at least 500k subs to rank. It's all relative. With 100 subs, you could generally rank for long tails. Of course now you have the "New" feature with search which gives you a chance for the first week. Stats quickly kick in to determine where you continue to rank after that.

Zesty

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
If that's what you think...of course if you tag your videos "COD CATMAN ATTACKS A TANK" and then search it up, you'd obv be up there but who would actually search for something so specific? I'm sure that's what you mean because no way in hell would you ever rank for something as widely searched as "COD GAMEPLAY PART 1" or "COD MULTIPLAYER KILL STREAK" --
You're being rhetorical, you can rank high enough if you tag efficiently. Look up Chapecoense career mode and look who's third, and last I checked that's a pretty big topic last I checked

iMSaiyan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Look at who you are competing with, there are barely any views above a thousand with that topic. You may have gotten lucky with view/watch time as well since you being on the 3-4th list down with 370 views already proved my point of how no one is really competing for this keyword. No big name YouTuber have covered that either. I wouldn't be taking any SEO advice from someone who didn't at least read the SEO facts or discussions on this forum. "Tag efficiently"...alright man, be uneducated about SEO all you want, I'm done here.