Do you monetize immediately?

Curious World

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter
For those hoping to make money from YT, would you monetize your videos immediately, or wait until you have a decent amount of content and a following?

Infinite Paths

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I did it straight away. People are used to ads now imo. I didn't make the threshold for payment ($100/£60) for nearly a year though, so it might take a while.

Celsus

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Some don't care but some do. Adds turn me away from smaller channels

Celsus

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Why do they turn you away from smaller channels but not larger ones?
That's a good questions, The reason being smaller channels are less known and have less to offer, seeing as most people don't have the entire day to browse through videos. Nor does your mind work in a manner that boredom won't set in. That being said, this is the normal reason smaller channels get looked over with add placement. I'm sure you've already read the science behind the first five seconds of any pitch is where are person will continue to hold interest or will lose interest. Those adds factor into that essentially.

Redford1900

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I didn't monetize any videos for a couple months after revamping the animal shelter's channel because I was worried it would turn people away. Once I started monetizing, I didn't notice any change in viewership so I don't think monetizing hurt the channel. I monetize the videos right away now.

When I check total views versus monetized views on my channel only about 20-25% are monetized anyways.

Last edited:

Kate's Adventures

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I haven't monetised yet, I think it's one of those things where everyone has to trust their individual judgement. I don't believe it's right for my channel at the moment but that's not to say that others are wrong to do so.

Infinite Paths

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
That's a good questions, The reason being smaller channels are less known and have less to offer, seeing as most people don't have the entire day to browse through videos. Nor does your mind work in a manner that boredom won't set in. That being said, this is the normal reason smaller channels get looked over with add placement. I'm sure you've already read the science behind the first five seconds of any pitch is where are person will continue to hold interest or will lose interest. Those adds factor into that essentially.
Smaller channels don't necessarily have less to offer, usually if I've clicked on a video it's because something has intrigued me about it, so three-seconds before I skip an ad doesn't make too much difference. But I suppose I'm only one man and it may have outraged many people back when I had like 3 subs that I had monetized my videos.

Celsus

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Smaller channels don't necessarily have less to offer, usually if I've clicked on a video it's because something has intrigued me about it, so three-seconds before I skip an ad doesn't make too much difference. But I suppose I'm only one man and it may have outraged many people back when I had like 3 subs that I had monetized my videos.
you're speaking philosophically, I'm speaking statistically. None of us are above being human really. I like checking out new channels in my spare time cause there's always gold, but adds will turn me away just for that reason. I'm not really interested at current moment for making money on my channel. I just enjoy what I do and practicing my editing while i'm doing it. I'm a very goal driven person though, so I've set rules to have a minimum of 500 subs and 100 views a video before I start to monetize. Probably realistically going to wait until 1,000 subs but that's my soft goal.

TheBossman

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter, Gamer, Reviewer
I monetised and I regret it. I find adverts annoying and now I look at how much I have earnt even though it is not much. I want to stop monetising but don't know whether to disable it fully on my account or just not have it selected when posting. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Does taking it off my account mean I can't put it back on in future? etc