Do you keep all your Youtube projects stored after upload

FireShock

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I have been thinking of getting an external hardrive to pop them after they are uploaded. But, the way YT's copyright system works sometimes, I think it's a good plan to keep just in case any of that does occur.

YouTube4x4

I've Got It
Reaction score
As somebody that just started the YouTube adventure this is one of the questions I have always had, especially in this era of 4K video and high FPS, which significantly affect file sizes. I don’t have a massive amount of videos yet but I make it part of my workflow to trim down my project folders to strictly what I consider good quality or what I need for videos. External storage options seem very accessible nowadays. For now I am archiving appropriate files for all projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twiniverse

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I've got an external drive where my source and final files all go after I've edited. I keep stuff local until that point, though I have used the external drive during editing as well as its over a thunderbolt connection and very fast.

Spence Bailey

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
I never thought this was going to be an issue until just recently when I started having a few different files go into each video and creating different projects. Currently I still have everything saved but I know I will have to get a dedicated drive or start going through and getting rid of stale files.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ricky Alv

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I personally upload it all to YouTube even if I keep it in private. YouTube can be used as great free storage space for your videos and you can download your own video from youtube if you need it personally for later so I would recommend not to waste your memory on the content and just upload it online.

Reactions: Spence Bailey

Spence Bailey

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Other
I personally upload it all to YouTube even if I keep it in private. YouTube can be used as great free storage space for your videos and you can download your own video from youtube if you need it personally for later so I would recommend not to waste your memory on the content and just upload it online.
I've never thought about it like that before. I don't really know if this was the way YouTube intended it to be utilized, but I guess there is more than one way to skin a cat. [emoji23]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Twiniverse

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think the only issue with using youtube as storage is that you don't have the original, probably higher quality videos. I still like to keep my originals local

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I keep everything, in fact, I just burned off a bunch of videos to DVD earlier and still about about 70GB of videos sitting on my drive.

Rambalac

Reaction score
I have all my 13Tb of videos. Do not trust YouTube for storing your videos, especially private. Do not trust word "private", all videos including private are checked by automated systems and sometimes real humans. If any of them violate TOS you get strike, even in private videos. If you get suspended you lose all your videos if you did not keep somewhere else, including private.

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I have 2 hard drives that act as my backup and backup backup xD my episodes are exported as Apple pro-res 422 files and average 12-24 gig an episode. They're all stored on these 2 drives (My plan is to selectively compress some of my older videos in handbreak when my drive starts getting full to free up space) I also keep all my reviews audio mastered (And the outtakes) stored on the same drive as well should I decide to pinch a section of an old review or if I want to revisit an old edit and remaster them.