Do you keep all your Youtube projects stored after upload

NorthernKeys

Reaction score
I always keep my finished product, but I delete the raw footage. You never know if you might need to reupload or reuse the clips at any time.

Saying that, I definitely need to invest in a new (and bigger) hard drive. I'm running out of space fast. XD

Reactions: videoeditgr
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I usually just store them all on a memory stick once I’m done with them but I think I will back them all up to my google drive at some point just so I can always access them

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I almost never delete the master files and the projects because I can use the files later for compilations, high quality re-renders and comparison videos. Storage space is cheap nowadays and I can record only up to 80-90 GBs per day, so I better store it than needing to re-record the videos again for months (years). I deleted some improvisation performances on my Korg PA50 and I sorry for doing this, but I will try to re-record them again someday (even if they won't be the same).

WebSam

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I keep all my files currently, I'm not uploading a lot, but I like knowing that I can use footage later if I need to re edit or do a best of type video.

If I was having lots of raw footage I would have to work out either a way to back up for long term, or some sort of plan to delete items.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I will never delete anything. By time you jump in as a creator (Audio/Video) you should understand that storage & backup are investment.

Youtube did not provide us to download original content of our videos uploaded. And if you ripped from online downloader, etc the resolution & codecs are poor.

So my suggestions: Always Render in Highest quality original resolution available on your software, Make it as ‘Master’, Keep it!
then Encode to Youtube 1080p H264 MP4, this what you’ll upload to YT.

Anytime you want to clear space, You delete only the Project Files, Render Files, Cache Files,, But Not the Masters.

For my TV commercial works, usually i gave my clients 3 months period to keep the files after it was aired. after that i’ll delete it.
Or I give them the whole project files and Masters. If they want to re-work, revised, etc, there will be an additional cost.

My YT are personal & commercial work for Music. I have 12TB of Storage since 2012
All my clients project are there too.. the space will keep growing.. just be prepared. Or the worst, storage failure.
1TB of external harddrive are considerably cheap these day. Buy one every 6 months or a year you should be good.

Reactions: WebSam

Xaenca

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I tend to keep the last few as a "just in case" precaution. Never know when something could go wrong. Or if I need to take snippets out of the older stuff it's ready for the taking instead of having to redownload it from Youtube all over again. Kind of weird having to download your own stuff, I must say.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I don’t save final cut files. They are often 200gb. I save the raw footage and of course the final product in 1080p or 4K depending

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I have a number of backup external hard drives to keep all my old projects and old footage. While it can start taking up physical space with the drives required, I figure I can always use the footage for other projects, or the final products if something happens to my channel.

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I keep ALL my videos in Videoscribe (the program I use for animation) It is always nice to have them I think and keeping them stored in Videoscribe they don´t take up any space on my computer...So for me this isnt any problem

Mcrocks9

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I used to but i decided to start deleting everything that I've published.