Do You Have A Logan Paul Style On-Screen Mask"?

Landen

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
We have an inevitable tendency to "perform" when we know we are in front of a camera that I call our "on-screen mask". Basically, if we know there is a camera in the room recording, we are bound to act slightly different and become a "performer," even if we try our best not to. One thing I desire as I continue making videos is to come off as natural as possible, without the content looking like it's scripted and rehearsed, because I really dislike watching popular videos where it's obvious it's fake. Prime example: the Logan Paul "Colorblind glasses" reaction video. It irks me that people would believe his reaction was genuine. What do you guys think? Is there such a thing as our on screen mask and is it necessarily a bad thing? Maybe I'm wrong.

Reactions: BrinoVlogs

GBeeTV

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I cheer up quite a lot when I'm on screen just because that's what I like to bring in my videos. It's not that I'm depressed when I'm not on video but I just portray a bit more energy and laughs

JoycelynsLife

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's a human behavioural thing. We form schemas and they are developed through experiences. Depending on the situation, types of schemas such as self, role and event play a part in how we act in different contexts.

Put the cameras aside, when we know we are being observed by someone of importance or whom we want to impress, we tend to act as our better self. Another example is how we behave when we are with our friends, our family or teachers, etc.

People are becoming more judgemental and that sort, which is why if there's a chance to avoid mistakes or look bad, why not?

Btw reactions videos are of a certain way because that's what people want to see. It's like why people watch reality shows even though almost everything's scripted and planned. They are in for the thrill, etc.

Landen

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I cheer up quite a lot when I'm on screen just because that's what I like to bring in my videos. It's not that I'm depressed when I'm not on video but I just portray a bit more energy and laughs
I can definitely get behind this comment mate!

Reetae27

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I don't think there's anything wrong with acting/reacting differently when you're on camera; it's natural to behave differently when you're hyper-aware that everything you're doing is suddenly going out onto the internet. I think the only time I'm ever annoyed is when it's really, really, really transparent that someone isn't merely in a different mood -- but is flat out faking it or pretending to have a genuine emotion, and is passing it off as such. Otherwise, I just tend to go with how people are acting as "normal," since I probably don't know enough about them to know if they're acting oddly.