Do you get envious of other's success on YouTube?

Divinejames

Reaction score
Hi, I wanted to ask this question because as much as I hate to admit it, I get jealous when I see channels that were near my size beat me in the "numbers game". Yes, I know it's not about that. It's about being passionate, but it can be demotivating. I am passionate about what I do, I love it. When I say numbers I'm not just talking views and subscribers, I'm talking interactions in the comments as well. I just wanted the reach out and see if anyone else goes through this time to time and if so, what do you do to overcome that jealousy/demotivation.

Reactions: videoeditgr

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi, I wanted to ask this question because as much as I hate to admit it, I get jealous when I see channels that were near my size beat me in the "numbers game". Yes, I know it's not about that. It's about being passionate, but it can be demotivating.
For me it is the other way around. When I see other people succeed, it motivates me to succeed like them, because at the end they are just humans like you and me. So when you see somebody successful, ask yourself the question: "What can I do better than him and be more successful than him?".
Getting envious is just a waste of energy IMHO.

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
No NEVER. They get what they deserve:) If they made a video that went viral good for them, or maybe they had the money to promote their videos......Or wait a minute, maybe their channels arent doing that well at all. Maybe a channel look big but fake subs/views/comments are all over YT (an NO I am not saying that all channel are fake:)) what I´m saying is that you have no way of knowing and that channels that get big (in terms of real subs/views) deserve it:)

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
It is not wrong to feel this way, it is human, after all it takes guts to say it in public I guess.
Answering to the question I agree with two previous answers, it is more like a motivation to get better.
As for Youtube itself, don't forget that others for example write better,
there is a whole world e.g. in wordpress blogging where they also
gain followers or monetize etc. Others digitally "live" in UpWork or similar..
I am trying to say that there are many parallel worlds where you can succeed or get profit.

:)

Cephus

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Nope, not at all. Everyone gets what they deserve. I don't feel bad when I succeed, I sure don't feel jealous when other people succeed.

Courtney Candice

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Not really, I’m actually really happy for them:)

BamaGuyRTR

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It doesn't do any good to get jealous. Just have to look in the mirror and ask yourself if you've done everything you can. For me, I know I haven't. I make videos every once in a while and so it shouldn't surprise me when my sub count and views go down because of how inconsistent I am.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
There are a few violin channels that I subscribed to while I was a bigger channel than them -- but then they blew up huge lol. I'm happy for them though, and it motivates me to see channels go from around my size to huge in such a short period of time. I can list a lot of things that I'm doing wrong, so I know I need to fix those things before I can feel jealous about anyone's success... :eek:

darksmokeyt

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
In high school, I graduated top of my class with a 4.0 and nearly ivy-league ACT scores. Then I went to college. I went to school for a very difficult degree, taking some very difficult classes, and barely skated by. I would score much less than friends, even though I studied DAYS MORE. Some kids scored 100% on every test!

To answer your question, yes, I was jealous at first. But after giving it some thought, I don't care any more. Some of these kids study more than me, work harder, etc. Some are insanely smart, and just understand the content. I'm just happy that I have access to an education, have a great group of friends and family, and I'm living and breathing.

Give it some thought.